Australian Army Haflinger Restoration

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
Rick K

Australian Army Haflinger Restoration

Post by Rick K »

Hello. Just introducing myself with a restoration project completed last March. Its an original ex-Australian Army Haflinger 700 APTL, Army Registration Number ARN 101-820. This is one of only 15 or so that I know remaining from 50 produced in early 1966. Ive tried to restore it to original as possible to its early use in the Army, based on historical photographs. Only minor rust- and the rear footwells were intact and good condition. A nest of possums however caused a lot of surface corrosion in the engine bay, and the cooling fins of the piston cylinders were choked with droppings. All the body panels were chemically stripped before painting with POR-15 rust preventative paint and olive drab. The canvas used for the hood and doors is an exact match of the original taken from a door, even though it differs in tone to the olive drab paintwork. I found 4 new or barely used Semperit tyres. I also have an original Australian Army part manual and User Handbook, plus a few boxes of original parts re-wrapped by the army in greasy paper and sealed in plastic (which I will leave alone!). The reconditioned engine is strong and idles beautifully. All in all Im pretty happy how she has turned out, and ready for a treffen.

Regards from Sydney

Rick Krassoi
Attachments
March 2012
March 2012
IMG_0978.jpg (77.57 KiB) Viewed 2899 times
Upon Completion in March 2012
Upon Completion in March 2012
IMG_0406.jpg (85.39 KiB) Viewed 2899 times
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
heinkeljb

Re: Australian Army Haflinger Restoration

Post by heinkeljb »

Looks good..

Now it just needs to be used.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hello

Just uploaded a you tube clip for this resto... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ1-neh3Do8

cheers

Rick
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Rick,
Great job on the resto project and the video. It's time for you to now find another lost brother to restore.
Cheers,
Steve
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Thanks Steve, very kind. Indeed the next project is one I've been working on for the last 5 years- a complete restoration of a 1963 Haflinger used by the Hydro electric commission in Tasmania. They used to helicopter these into remote places to survey new dams etc. They originally had 4 of them, but this is the only survivor I know of. I'm about 70% there. I'll post some pics soon.

Cheers

Rick
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Rick,
Is your Tasmanian Hydro Electric Hafi similar to this one?
Cheers,
Steve
Hydro Haf-sm.jpg
Hydro Haf-sm.jpg (63.44 KiB) Viewed 2759 times
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hi Steve

Nice photo! Can you tell me where it is from and maybe when?

My understanding is there were no polycabs (Kommunal- APK) Haflingers imported into Australia- but thats not to say there wasnt a private import at some time. The haffys used by Tasmanian Hydro were the basic sort of APTL (ie tropical gear with PTO) civilian models- but these early Haflingers were also fitted with platen bumbers and Swiss Army-type tail lights (with blinkers). Ive attached a couple of pics of what she looked like 5 years ago- but shows some of these features. I found her in bits, but very well preserved in a dry Launceston garage. Minor surface rust only, but rear left swing arm sheared off at the gearbox (all studs broken, crown gear chewed etc etc). A nasty last drop from a helicopter?

with kind regards

Rick
Attachments
1963 ex-Tassie Hydro, taken 2008
1963 ex-Tassie Hydro, taken 2008
IMG_0033.jpg (76.32 KiB) Viewed 2741 times
1963 ex-Tasmanian Hydro 700APTL
1963 ex-Tasmanian Hydro 700APTL
IMG_0029.jpg (92.07 KiB) Viewed 2741 times
woodman

Post by woodman »

Hi Rick, Iv'e managed to blow up the photo of the Poly Cab Haf' the reg number appears to be a British one LJS 402 J so maybe the pic was taken some where in the UK, Regards woodman
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Rick,
The photo came from Dale Harrison some time ago. I don't know its origin but was likely from somewhere in the UK as I notice this is RHD (wrong side of the road :) ) vehicle.
It has some interesting accessories like extended mud guards over the wheels and some sort of device mounted below the winch on the front.
Your Hydro truck doesn't look too bad overall. It'll make a really nice restoration project.
Cheers,
Steve
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hey there,

that Polycab Haflinger used to be located in Scotland. HydroElectric was, I think, a supplier of electric energy there. I know that historic picture from Dale and by accident, I came across another one showing the same vehicle, but with wider tyres. That's possibly the reason for the additional mud guards.
haflinger-blue.jpg
haflinger-blue.jpg (94.21 KiB) Viewed 2719 times
The vehicle is still alive, it was offered on eBay a while ago.

Kind regards,
Constantin
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Constantin,
Wow, isn't it terrific that this truck still survives! Interesting that it seems to have the same taillight arrangement as our Canadian Hafis. Do you know what year this truck was made?
Do you have any photos of the left side? In the earlier photo there looks as if there is some device located below the rear footbox.
Kind regards,
Steve
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

In the UK a registration ending in a "J" would be ~1970. (First registered between 01-AUG-70 to 31-JUL-71 to be precise).
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |