Another new member

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
Ranger1

Another new member

Post by Ranger1 »

Hello to everyone in the Group. I have been a regular 'Guest' for the last year and finally thought I ought to join up so hello from York in the North of England. I am already a member of the UK group and know HeinkelJB as the wizard he is and a great source of knowledge and info.

I have a 1973 Polycab that has spent almost all its life on the Airlie Estate in the far north of Scotland. It has never been taxed or tested before last week when it had its first UK MOT. So its always been an off road vehicle. It has suffered a bit with the tin worm underneath and the rear load bed is in fact two sheets of marine ply. Its very serviceable as such but definitely not standard.

I am lucky to say that I have an Alf Pocklington engine. Its just been totally rebuilt as standard and runs beautifully. As you will see from the pictures the second, and last, owner desecrated the front with a Land Rover bumper. I can report that this is no longer attached after a session yesterday with the angle grinder. The previous owner also was far too happy with the Hammerite. The awful green paint will be coming off shortly and being replaced with as near the original beige (its called Pebble Stone), just like the wheels.

My Hafi will never be concourse, I want to have some fun with this so now that it is tested I can get out and about with it. Unlike JB who drives Lurch all over I much prefer my trailer for longer trips, but at least it is now working and legal. It hasn't been either for far too many years.

Nigel
Attachments
2015-01-07 14.43.51.jpg
2015-01-07 14.43.39.jpg
2015-01-07 14.43.30.jpg
Haflinger Polycab 1973 SWB
Pinzgauer 710 1982 ex Yugoslav army ambulance, three door body.
Freelander 2 HSE TD4
Mitsubishi FTO Car of the Year.
heinkeljb

Re: Another new member

Post by heinkeljb »

Welcome Nigel,

looks like you have lightened the front end a bit! Should come out of holes a lot better now, not so much overhang.... I drive Lurch as that is part and parcel of having a vehicle, the fact it is old, noisy and slow is just part of what the vehicle is. I also have a Heinkel 3 wheeler (What most people call a Bubble car") - that has been on the road for a while now, but I used that for over 10 years in the same way. Drove it to get places.

The fact that most people trailer such vehicles places is something for them to worry about. I worry about get where I am heading when ever I use Lurch, but hopefully I will fix all the things that cause a breakdown, so I can get on with doing some thing I like, showing people who have never seen a Haflinger, one in the flesh!

Like the guy near where I work who had seen pictures, but never seen one. Drove Lurch to work, then on to visit him. Took him for a quick spin and now he's hooked! Anybody know of a basket case he can buy?

So Nigel, are you going to come to the Dutch Rally in May? (9th / 10th). Your allowed to trailer it there if you must.... (actually, several others do that or atleast put their Haf's in the back of vans.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Hi Nigel, Welcome to the Forum! And a very nice Haflinger you have there. My 1962 Haflinger started out life on an Estate near Aviemore, and like yours was never registered for the road until after it came down south in 1992. Very sadly (& frustratingly!) the trail has gone cold as to which Estate mine came from though, so you are lucky.

The size of these large Scottish Estates is quite something - how one can have a vehicle that never (officially!) goes on a public highway for so many years staggers me ...
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Welcome - the forum is great place to be :)
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)