Mystery Object

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
wojo12

Mystery Object

Post by wojo12 »

Most people who buy rarer vehicles are gifted boxes of spare parts and other bits and pieces.

Included in my boxes of bits was this switch panel. I suspect it has nothing to do with Haflingers at it has 240v on the back of one of the "switches", unless my Haf at one time had a PTO and generator on board perhaps. The depth of the panel is less than the depth of the standard dashboard.

Thoughts anyone?
Attachments
49671197_529589224212429_8854558638186954752_n.jpg
49184647_1520166598127200_5398704651904221184_n.jpg
heinkeljb

Re: Mystery Object

Post by heinkeljb »

That looks like the front panel off an old radio box. The sideways light in the top left to illuminate all the other switches.

Have you checked your gearbox for the Chassi number? Does it match the plate up front? If it does then your Haf did not have a PTO fitted, but there is no reason why someone could not have had a "period" piece radio in there, except the Haf's electrical system would have struggled to make it work correctly over a long period of time.

Personally, I don't think that panel has anything to do with your Haf, it was just put into a box of bits to do with the Haf as something on it might have been useful - for instance the sideways light might make a useful map / interior light - something Haflingers lack!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

re switch panel - that's what I thought

re chassis number - yes, gearbox number matched plate. I know that the engine has been changed,

re fuses - I had a play today. I would have thought that power from the battery would have been connected to one side of fuse panel (separated into items that work with ignition on and those that might be required with ignition off. Well, with ignition off, all fuses have no voltage, BUT if I turn on the parking lights, fuses 5 (lefthand parkers) and 6 (righthand parkers and instrument lights) have power. I have no idea what fuses 1, 2 &3 do yet!!! #4 is for wipers.

Cheers

John W
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The is correct.... parking lights getting power with ignition off means you can park on the street with parking lights running as required by various countries.
Other things we will wait and see what you find!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

heinkeljb wrote:The is correct.... parking lights getting power with ignition off means you can park on the street with parking lights running as required by various countries.
Other things we will wait and see what you find!

John
You are missing my point. It seems incorrect to me that the parking light fuses only have power when the those lights are turned on?

John W
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

That means the parking light switch is on the wrong side of the parking lights. I have come across that a few times before. Nothing specifically wrong with that way of wiring things if your wiring is in good condition and not likely to cause a short circuit.

You could re-wire so the side light switch is on the correct side and theefore the fuse would be live.

John

wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

heinkeljb wrote:That means the parking light switch is on the wrong side of the parking lights. I have come across that a few times before. Nothing specifically wrong with that way of wiring things if your wiring is in good condition and not likely to cause a short circuit.

You could re-wire so the side light switch is on the correct side and theefore the fuse would be live.

John
Thanks, John

Cheers

John W
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I cannot speak for a Haflinger but many cars have fuses/switches and other functions downstream of the switched part (so there is power to the part all the time. Doesn't sound logical but my old 77 Lancia did as does my RRS.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)