Newbie from N. Ireland

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
tinkerer

Re: Newbie from N. Ireland

Post by tinkerer »

Cheers all for the great welcome...
My Haffy was originally from SW England where it seems to have spent most its time from new until late 70's - early 80's.. The last time it was taxed was 1978, and I gather that it was used in a factory from then on in N. Ireland, until the previous owner bought it in the 90's with a view to 'getting it going'... He never did and it just languished in his farm shed being used as a shelf for other stuff in there... It is showing just over 6k miles which could be correct given the history...

The roof is all GRP, with an aperture for a small window behind the seats. I assume that this must have been an option as I have seen a few on the net with the GRP cab.. I just have to find two doors or parts of doors...

I have had the engine out and on the stand to allow me to clean off some of the crud, straw, oil and other un-mentionables and to allow me to do a bit of work along with giving me the chance to remove the tinware and clean the fins and remove the old mouse nests and shredded fan-belts.

I'll certainly take the advice, (thanks) about not removing the heads if there are no more issues, although I'll change the Rocker cover gaskets and the drain tube seals down into the crankcase.. I don't think it is too bad and hopefully I'll get it running fine..

More of a concern is the CV joints and boots.. They are perished and the joints have probably been exposed for a long time so not sure what shape they are in.. I suppose just delve in with crossed fingers in the hope that they are serviceable..

I'll post some photos as I move through the salvage operation.. lol

All good information and I am really glad that there is an interested, thriving world-wide community for the humble little Haffy.. I'm looking forward to turning the key for the first time..
Attachments
20160221_195744.jpg
20160227_190136.jpg
20160219_151125.jpg
'73 703AP

"There is only one way to eat an elephant, one bite at a time.."
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

tinkerer wrote:I have had the engine out and on the stand ..
I like that stand - a neat solution!
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

I made the stand up for working at a VW engine, and then made a few brackets up for the Haffy engine.. It make it very easy to work at, as I can turn it to whatever angle to work at it, and it is sturdy enough that I could run the engine on it..
'73 703AP

jhon

Post by jhon »

tinkerer wrote: As for the resto, a full back-to-new condition sounds soo nice, but I would be happy to get it mechanically sound, MOT, tax and insurance and have a bit of fun.. I am lucky enough to have some ground, so I have places already in mind.. I bet you have some great spots over in Scotland..
Your approach to the rebuild sounds good! The downside to a full restoration is there is a risk that you will not want to use the Haf to it's potential for fear of undoing all that hard work and investment - it's always a tricky balance with older, valuable vehicles.

I've found that mechanically and structurally good with no further deterioration, and only mods to improve useability to be the sweet spot. They are very capable vehicles and so much fun when used.

There's some pictures of off-roading in Scotland in the 'Off-Road' thread in the Haflinger section - I hope to see you posting in there when you get it sorted.

Cheers!

John
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

Hi John,
Tough decision indeed... Full resto would be nice and I love to see things done correctly and back to factory if at all possible, but I bought this Haffy to enjoy... I don't think I would be pushing to its limit, but I will enjoy being in the mud and having some fun with the kids in it.. I still want a vehicle that I can wash the mud off and take to the odd show or rally..
If I can get the mechanics and electrics sorted and do the necessary bodywork just to stop any further deterioration, I would be extremely happy..
I am one for taking plenty of photographs and I'll happily share them if anyone is interested... Besides, someone might see something that I have missed..
'73 703AP

Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Hey Rick, totally agree with you, other than a stunt over there on exchange when I was in the Army, don't go near the stuff. Have been told by good sources though, don't eat yellow coloured snow.
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

Vampyr wrote:Took one look a that photo of Lurch in the snow, and thanked GOD I live in Australia, MATE give me the snakes any day. Would be a interesting drive for a cuppa Rick. great to see a long wheel base.Danny
Hi Danny, Interesting drive indeed but I would love to call in anyway.. Spent a while in Melbourne many years ago and loved it... If I went back I would most probably stay, snakes or not... (Wasn't too fussed on the spiders...) ;)
'73 703AP

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Your Carb inlet manifold looks like Lurch's one, except it's the other side. Still, should be possible to weld or even just to braze another bit of pipe and the remains of the manifold (if you still have it), together.

If you follow what I have done over on the other thread regarding the Manifold, just be more careful about keeping the pipe(s) aligned when you start brazing!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

Hi John,
I did read your post and wondered if I could do something similar. I have the other bits of pipe but they are npt in great shape... I wondered about the viability of making up a jig or two and remaking that part of the manifold from scratch. I'm sure you know what its like when you get a new project... "Oh, I'll remake that bit from scratch over the while of a weekend".. lol..
We all know reality is nothing like that.
Am I correct in saying that Haflinger Technik does new manifolds? Does anyone know any of the prices for such?
I'll probably look into doing the same as you and graft a bit of new pipe onto the old bits and braze it up.. I'll give your thread another good read and work out where I need to start..
All good fun..
'73 703AP