The forum is not free to run BUT you access it for free!

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
tgh

Re: The forum is not free to run BUT you access it for free!

Post by tgh »

As a recent supplicant who is haflingerless, it's hard to justify a donation to such a moribund list.
Clearly the malaise is not the fault of the generous list owner , but sites like this , all over, are dying from lack of input.
I folks will not actively support the list there is ………..
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

As you can’t even be bothered to fill in your profile with the minimum of details such as a location or post yourself. Forums such as these go through cycles of activity / inactivity. Should some one purchase a Haflinger there are an increase in the number of posts as questions are asked and answered. When people are just enjoying using their Haflingers or go on holiday / have no issues, there tends to be fewer posts.

If you feel the forum does not warrant a donation then don’t make one! The forum will survive without your help, but I am sure that once you purchase a Haflinger you will be glad there are forums like this available.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

tgh, this forum is going through a quiet phase at the moment - it is always more active during the spring & summer. Activity is always created by people who are either stuck with a "how do I ..." type question, or with trip reports etc. Both tend to generate helpful, informative and motivating replies.

Donations are always voluntary, as are which forums people use. I for one appreciate this one especially, due in part to not "do-ing" FaceBook.

I look forward to learning more from you when your Haflinger(s) do arrive, both in what you ask and in what you tell.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
tgh

Post by tgh »

Thanks for the responses ( my comments were worded to generates some … :-) )
I was casting no aspersions on the list owner and did not think I deserved the terse response.
I have some experience in this area and sympathise with the lack of activity that seems endemic at the moment with internet groups.
I have now redone my profile ,as it seems the last time it did not update.
IF and when I manage to own one of these contraptions , I will likely be a prolific poster and will be the first to contribute to list facilitation.
Until then there seems little point in gardening and I will retreat to other areas with lots of activity
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

tgh wrote:As a recent supplicant who is haflingerless, it's hard to justify a donation to such a moribund list.
Clearly the malaise is not the fault of the generous list owner , but sites like this , all over, are dying from lack of input.
I folks will not actively support the list there is ………..
This forum may not have a large number of members but it is reasonably active and people post as they need too - yes it has been quiet lately. I think you will find, that as Forums go, this is the most active forum for Haflingers in the world - us along with our friends over on the Real4x4 (Portal hub) forum capture 99% of the Haflinger Forum discussion in the world.

This has not developed into a chat forum covering none Haflinger related issues and is more technical in focus but from time to time I have, as others have done in quiet times have posted none Haflinger related items that may be of interest.

People come to forums for their own reasons - you dont have a Haflinger yet and I am sure you have searched and found things that may be of interest to you. But to get the most from the forum you need to be involved as this prompts further discussion and exchange of information.

On 6 Oct you asked a relevant question about the Australian Haflinger Club to which I put up a response outlining the situation as I understand it - but you never came back to clarify anything, to refute information or just simply to acknowledge the response to your question. For forums to work there needs to be give and take and if members just take then yes they will die - this forum may not have a high rate of posts but those who do post give a lot of information and also gain a lot of help - I am one of those and have gained far more from the forum than I have given but I would like to think that in posting my issues and asking for help that in the future new Haflinger owners like yourself will have a resource of information to draw upon.

Donations are clearly voluntary and if you choose not to donate then that is your choice but just think about if the forum had to close due to lack of funding and you got your Haflinger and had to go through the issues I have had to over the years, where would you get your information?

I am sorry the forum does not meet your needs but I hope you will stay a member and contribute by asking questions that may prompt discussion and in future you will consider making a donation.

Anyway - good luck with your search for a Haflinger.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
tgh

Post by tgh »

Gee I have ruffled some feathers…sorry everyone.
Garry I did much appreciate your reply and apologise for not responding.
I was a bit sad to see that the club had dissolved, and found a lot of interesting stuff on the pages.
There were so many haf's sold .. what happened to them all?
Anyway, I should extract the digit and sell a couple of toys to make some room for a haf that I trust will eventually find me
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

TGH (we are a happy bunch and like to use first names so please consider letting us know what to call you :shock:)

No I dont think too many feathers got ruffled - as I said people come to these forums for different reasons. As John has indicated, the forum is free and if people choose to donate that is great and if some don't - that is also fine - their choice.

As you will see in the For Sale section a few of us Aussies do keep a good eye out for hafs that are for sale and post up when they are spotted so i am sure something will come your way - unfortunately though most require a bit of work and there are few road registered.

Hang around and enjoy the show ;)

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Guess what?

So far this year not a single donation! Well, there is only so far my wages will stretch and I may or may not make up any short fall in the hosting fees come December when it is up for renewal.

Hopefully this polite reminder will spur all of our membership into donating, even a small amount to keep the forum up. It only works if people participate.

I do sometimes wonder what reasons people have for joining? There are a large number who join but who never even post once!
I assume some are looking for a Haflinger to own. Why not put a post in the wanted section?
I assume some are looking to sell and ar trying to find out what they are worth, why not put a post in the for sale section?
I assume some have a rusting wreck that is / was going to be a restoration project. Why not put a post in one of the sections asking for advise?
I assume some are just interested in the vehicles. Why not put post in the general section about why they interest you?

Who knows? Certainly not me!!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Thanks for the reminder, John, and also for all of the work you do behind the scenes.

Donation made via PayPal !!!
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

robw

Post by robw »

Not a prolific poster here but any stretch but i do find it a valuable resource and appreciate the behind the scenes work and effort so just done a donation via paypal.

Rob
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Thanks John, I hit the donate button today too.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
jhon

Post by jhon »

Me too, thank you John for your efforts and continued enthusiasm.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Another year of thehaflinger.com being on line has been arranged BUT - now there is not enough for next years fees!!!

Some more donations if you please!

There is a donation button on each page even the index page so it shouldn’t be hard to find. Paypal accepts even very small amounts, so making a donation shouldn’t break the bank...

John

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Thanks for all you do, John. I've just sent a donation via the PayPal link.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Thank you.

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Just a BUMP to remind you all to hit that DONATE button at the bottom of each page... Christmas time is Hosting fee time so now that has been paid for another year, that leaves the kitty rather bare!

John

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

First donation of the year!

Please donate, even a small amount! From lots of people that can equate to enough to pay the hosting fees at Christmas time. I know this year has been tough on everyone, me included, but I think this forum has better staying power for information on Haflingers than any of the unsearchable Facebook sites.

John

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Many thanks to those people who have managed to donate some money to keep TheHaflinger.com forum running. The only expense Thehaflinger.com has is the hosting fees which are paid November time. We currently have £206.56 in the account I set up to make the hosting fee payments from. Last years hosting fees were £175.94. Give that every thing goes up - this years hosting fees are likely to be atleast £180.00.
So unless a lot more people make a small donation between now and next November, there is not going to be enough in the kitty to pay next years fees.
We have currently have 313 members - I dare say good proportion of those only ever read posts, a smaller proportion will make one or two posts. That leaves a small active group of people which is hopefully, big enough that when they make a small donation, it will bring the kitty up to a level that can support the forum.
I would like to believe that every single member would make a donation, but I am a realist and will take what ever gets donated with thanks.

John

bestill

Post by bestill »

I just sent you 10 pounds, I will try to send a bit more next time. I much appreciate your site! Thanks again bestill.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Many thanks,
John