present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
AustHaflinger

Re: My Hafy project is complete

Post by AustHaflinger »

Mobility Scooter seats?
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

good luck with the sale, it'll be interesting to see what it brings.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Wow, I just finished replacing 75% of this engine for current owner.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Jim,

Can you expand a bit on what you replaced? The picture of the engine obviously does not tell the whole story.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Broken crankshaft, heads damaged beyond repairing, valves warped from lack of exhaust system.
Basically it was not machined correctly.
Had been sitting apart for several years till it was brought to me with engine in boxes.
There were many things I needed to repair before it could be road certified again.
I’ll try to upload some photos in my gallery and link them.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

It seems broken crakshafts are not as uncommon as I thought. This is now the fifth one I know of. I was led to belive the engines were "bullet proof", but it turns out they are prone to suffer from various issues. Head issues appear to be the most common, Main bearings and piston rings seem to be up there as well.
I would put a lot of the issues down to the small amount of oil the engine holds. Although the service schedule is only 1250 miles, I think this is probably exceeded by most owners, leading to engine failures. Along with the body rust, this is probably the reasons there are not so many Hafilngers left.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!