Kenyan Haflingers

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
safari-haf

Kenyan Haflingers

Post by safari-haf »

Hi all!

As a new member, I've done things slightly backwards and have done a few posts recently without first introducing myself. I live in Kenya and have 2 Pinzgauer 6x6 fire engines in service as emergency response vehicles. Recognising our Pinzgauer as the Haflinger's younger brother, I was approached by someone who was selling his son's Haflinger. I knew nothing about them at the time but went ahead with the deal anyway.

That was the beginning of my fascination with Haflingers. I got a running (without brakes) LWB Haflinger which had many years earlier had an engine swap to a Subaru 1300cc engine. As part of the deal I got another incomplete SWB Haflinger with no engine or rear hubs. After buying some brake cylinder kits from Haflinger Technik I got the LWB up and running. It is now the fun run-around at the family beach house.

A while later I was approached by one of my employees saying he had seen one of the "strange vehicles" like I had at my house. It was being sold for scrap. I couldn't resist so I managed to get hold of it for the equivalent of £250. It was pretty rusty, nothing worked, but basically complete and original. I have spent the last 3 years slowly working out what parts needed to be replaced and gradually bringing them all out in my suitcase from UK. Amazingly after clearing out all the rats nest in the tinware, replacing the v-belts, buying new spark plugs and HT leads the engine fired up! I am presently sorting out the brakes, so I can finally get it driving!

My ultimate goal is to eventually source the parts needed for the SWB Haffy, so I will get all 3 on the road! I have attached some pics of my 3 projects.

Living in Kenya, with no Haffy knowledge available locally, or personal mechanical knowledge for that matter; I am really up against it getting these unusual and complicated vehicles on the road. So it is great having a forum like this to discuss issues and also more positive experiences.

Cheers,

Paul
Attachments
My Semi-complete SWB Haffy
My Semi-complete SWB Haffy
My rescued all original LWB Haffy
My rescued all original LWB Haffy
My Subaru powered LWB Haffy
My Subaru powered LWB Haffy
'64 Haflinger 703AP LWB
'67 Haflinger 703AP LWB
'66 Haflinger 700AP SWB (in pieces)
heinkeljb

Re: Kenyan Haflingers

Post by heinkeljb »

Paul,

It looks like you have a pair the heavy duty springs on the from of your Subaru powered Haf. These were fitted to those vehicles which were going to have heavy items fitted front or back like snow ploughs or generators. Might be worth your while to try and source a pair of ordinary springs. I bet if you took your springs off, you would find the front pair are longer than the rear ones.
The camber on the front wheels looks a bit excessive.

The other two look like they wouldn't take much to make them into running vehicles. Probably a bit effort to get them properly roadworthy.

Most things are interchangeable between the LWB and SWB, bar the obvious bits, like the prop shaft and the platform.

Are you going to turn one of them in to an emergency response vehicle, it would get places the Pinz's would struggle with because of their size.?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
safari-haf

Post by safari-haf »

Hi John,

The photo of the Subaru powered Haffy (need to come up with a clever name!) was taken by the previous owner and was the photo he advertised it with. I think it has the appearance of having heavy duty springs in that photo because he had jacked it up to see if he could fix the brakes, which he obviously failed to do. As soon as the car moved the suspension leveled out. It does have some rather fancy looking shocks/dampers which you can fill with air to adjust hardness though.

Yes I think ultimately I will be able to get them all up and running (luckily no MOT laws on private vehicles in Kenya ;-) ) My plan is once the all original LWB is ready it will go down to the beach house as the run-around, the Subaru powered one will come back up to Nairobi and will be made into a trial vehicle by adding roll cage and some sort of bull bar. The SWB I will try and get into original condition and either keep as an all original Nairobi run-around or sell to a friend to have a local Haffy buddy!

Don't think I'll go down the company emergency vehicle route, The Pinzgauers can go anywhere! Even if they are too big they just drive over whatever obstacle is in the way!..haha

Cheers,

Paul
'64 Haflinger 703AP LWB
'67 Haflinger 703AP LWB
'66 Haflinger 700AP SWB (in pieces)
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hello Paul,

thanks for your post and the pictures! I also have some information about Haflingers in Kenya online at http://tdc.haflinger-4wd.com/countries/kenya.php. I think one of the comments there might have come from your side anyway. There are already some good shots of your Subaru Haflinger, but it would be great if you could possibly provide me with some good shots of the other two Hafs - would make a nice addition!

Kind regards,
Constantin
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Except when it is between a couple of baobabs!

You could always deck it out as one and use it for promotional work.

Hadn't realized there was a UK version of the challenge. Might try entering it! Must admit I have never seen any Haflinger's on any of my trips to Kenya.

It could always become a " Sub-HaF "! :lol: :lol:

It is a long wheel base version isn't it? If so I had a thought; :idea: (Dangerous I know!) If the vehicle was original you would have had a couple of heat exchangers fitted in front of the rear shocks. If these have been removed because they were not needed due to the engine change, then you could possibly mount a couple of radiators in there. They would be mostly out of the way, might need some ducting and fans, and stone / rock / bushes guards fabricating, but could probably be made to work.

Only thing you would have to really work on would be the capacity of the two radiators. It would need to add up to more or less what you have at the moment so you don't suffer overheating issues.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
JPNairobi

Post by JPNairobi »

Hi Paul,

You must be referring to the 2 Pinzgauers at Ultimate on Ngong road? I am your neighbour and I just bought a SWB Haf in Nanyuki, that I will restore, we should link up!

J-P