New member from west oz

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
Adam

Re: New member from west oz

Post by Adam »

Not sure on language barrier?? I know Malcolm and dad spent a reasonable mount of time with the aboriginal folk, and he certainly picked up some of their traditional language, guess they worked it out among themselves????
Adam

Post by Adam »

So the haflinger that dad and Malcolm used in follow the sun was given to them by haflinger after some strong following of their first doco across the top. The exposure of the first movie was enough to gain some sponsorship for next film, with qintrex also giving them a dinghy. After the film was finished, vehicle was given back to the Darwin agent for haflinger. Not sure what happened to it after that. Today I got mine somewhat driving for the first time in over a decade, even took mum for a spin after she drove one almost 50 years ago!!!!! Very cool!!!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I had a suspicion that it came from the Haflinger assembly plant in Springwood Melbourne. As you work your way around the site you will probably come see some of the Aussies mentioning the name Tony Hrelja when they are seeking parts in Australia.

Tony is probably about 80 now but he worked at the Springwood factory when it was assembling Haflingers and probably had a hand in assembling the Haflinger used in the film (as well as my Haflinger and the one you have now). When the factory ceased assembling Haflingers, Tony bought all the remaining stock and parts and on sells them on to Aussie enthusiasts.

Tony may possibly remember the background to handing over the haflinger to your father and Malcolm and now is a good source of "new old stock" Haflinger parts. Most Aussie members on here have got parts from him from time to time. I will PM you his contact details - noting he operates out of his house and big shed so not run like a normal business - no emails just phone.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Adam

Post by Adam »

Cheers Gary, thought as much! Haven't had any contact with tony but the name is very synonymous with Haflinger's! Would love to chat to him, and still hold hope that the haflinger I currently own was dads old one!! Long shot but will start investigation as have number plates off dads original do could try find out vehicle numbers etc!
mechanical horse

Post by mechanical horse »

Hey Gary
In reference to the Haffie factory, do you mean Springvale rather than Springwood?
Regards Rick.
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

Adam wrote:Hey all, just put a post on another thread, quick intro, my name Adam from Dunsborough. Recently purchased 69 haf from Doug Lennox in qld. Haf is in bits, body good condition, have got motor running briefly, new fuel pump on way. Once motor running properly will pull out and check clutch, sort brakes, sort electrical, put together and see what works???? Then disassemble and clean up and put back together, get her licensed, and happy days?? Hopefully?? Maybe??? I'm no mechanic, but have a few mates onboard giving me a hand, learning along the way and having a few beers and laughs!! Not expecting to be much help to any of your questions, but will certainly be asking a few! Dale from Haflingertechnik has already been helpful, will try upload a few pics, cheers for now.
Welocme to Haffy Land, Adam.

I am endeavouring to bring up to date the great work by someone on the old Haflinger Cub of Australia website. Is this Chassis No. 5361250 that you purchased from Doug?

What a wonderful background you have come from - I always loved the Douglas/Oldmeadow docos, when I could find them. I'll revisit them again soon, thanks to the links you have posted

Regards

John Wood
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

garrycol wrote:Across the Top https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PRv7Z0JjdM&t=436s
Follow the Sun Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYvsbt1OP-U&t=33s
Follow the Sun Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tlbr8qFH6g

Part 1 has the Haflinger from the start but little after it is loaded? Part 2 has a bit - make sure you look at around 33.43 - interesting stuff. A bit later it shows old Wattie hunting - hmmm maybe been eating a bit too much white man's food.

Where is this Haflinger now? In the Malcolm Douglas Museum in Broome? Adam do you know? - I understand the very rare 86 Landrover Series 1 Station Wagon that was used in Across the Top is there.

Garry
Unfortunately, Follow the Sun is not available on youtube now.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Haflinger took the vehicle back in Darwin as they sponsored the car to dad and Malcolm after the success of the first film, being across the top. Will find chassis number and get back to you. I am just waiting on seats to be upholstered and repair handbrake cable and then getting close to try get her over pits!!!! Will try upload a photo!!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Just installed new fuel tank today so no longer test driving with a jerry can strapped to the back!!! Low fuel light not working, new sensor so must be wiring or globe!!!
Attachments
IMG_4204.JPG
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

Adam wrote:Just installed new fuel tank today so no longer test driving with a jerry can strapped to the back!!! Low fuel light not working, new sensor so must be wiring or globe!!!
Nice cars, Adam!!!! I love the seat upgrade in the Haf - LOL!!!

Regards

John W
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Adam wrote:Low fuel light not working, new sensor so must be wiring or globe!!!
I just got my new sender and tried to test it with my test lamp and a battery - initially the test lamp did not glow, but on second test it glowed weakly - I then remembered the following comment on the Prokschi website

"Fuel gauge (703.1.67.013.0), 2nd series tested at 8 bar We recommend a 2 watt indicator light (like original), the higher the wattage, the weaker the lamp lights up."

So double check the the wattage of the globe - the smaller the brighter the light.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Adam

Post by Adam »

Cheers Garry, will try soon
Doug Lennox

Re: New member fdrom west oz

Post by Doug Lennox »

Looking good there Adam. I'll try to drop down sometime this year. Caretaking a property near Sandstone for the year.

Cheers

Doug

Ps, I thought it looked better red.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Ha!
Anytime Doug!!!