Haflingers at Waldersee Farm

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
walderse

Haflingers at Waldersee Farm

Post by walderse »

Hello to all,
We are very fortunate in that we have been able to put together a collection of a half dozen opperational Haflingers over the years. Currently, we are preparing an extended trip this coming summer and our primary vehicle will be our 1973 Haflinger 703APK ex-Kommunal polycab.
Smaller Haflinger Trailer combo.jpg
Smaller Haflinger Trailer combo.jpg (239.84 KiB) Viewed 1732 times
Our trip this summer will also involve a support/chase/commuter vehicle as well. It will be another Boxer twin-driven high mobility vehicle...the 2012 Ural Yamal Limited Edition with optioanl 2WD.
S.O.S. Expedition vehicles.jpg
S.O.S. Expedition vehicles.jpg (236.01 KiB) Viewed 1732 times
We are unsure if we will be bringing the trailer along and still have to build the rear camper shell with small VW Westfalia pop-top for the Haflinger. We will keep all infomed of the proggress of the build as well as the trip itself on TheHaflinger site.

Take care.

Jim and Emilie Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
heinkeljb

Re: Haflingers at Waldersee Farm

Post by heinkeljb »

Jim, Why has your trailer got the wrong wheels on it? Same size as the Hafflinger allows you to have spare(s) that fit both items rather than having to carry one of each! :)

Presumably this means that each of you will have to drive / ride one or other vehicle during your "adventure". Pity you can't set up the trailer to also act as a bike trailer.

Waiting to see how you produce the rear camper shell as it is something I was planning to do to mine at some point. I might go for one of those roof tent things so you just open it out.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
walderse

Post by walderse »

John,
The tires and wheels on the trailer are 100% original Hafloinger. While the undercarriage of the trailer features independent supension and Haflinger coil springs, the hubs and swingarms are custom items.

Given with weight and width of the motorcycle, neither the trailer nor truck would handle that sort of load. While we will be in separate vehicles, the combo of the two togther will raise far more interest than either vehicle does alone. We plan to commmunicate using vehicle-to-vehicle intercoms.

The camper shell with have a 1 5/8" x 1 5/8' Superstrut skeleton whose transverse sectional profile will match that of the polycab. It will be skinned with either aluminum or fiiberglass sheet, will have a swing out rear acess door and a pair of jalousie windows mounted on the side panels. It will also be capped with a small vintage VW Westfalia pop-top. Details of the camper construction will be documented elswhere in this forum.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The only reason I commented on the trailer wheels is in the picture they look bigger. Must be a perspective thing!

How much does the Ural weigh then? If you don't get an overzealous "more than my job is worth" offical, I am sure the Haflinger could cope with a 600Kg load. As for width, a custom added flatbed would solve that.

I have thought of doing a "car transporter" mod to mine to be able to take the Heinkel to rallies. But it only weights in at around 300 - 360Kg's.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hi Jim

Nice work on the kommunal haffi, and the improvided trailer is great. Nice too that you have retained the original wheels and tyres. Look forward to hearing of your adventures.

Rick
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Jim,
It may just be the angle from which the photo of your Kommunal was taken but it appears that you still have the heavy duty front road springs installed. These were used on the Kommunals to help carry the extra load of front mounted attachments. Continuous driving without the attachments will lead to excessive outer edge tire wear due to positive camber angle. I have a pair of Semperit Universal Grips that suffered this fate. The inner edges are barely worn at all but the outers are nearly to the core. Just a "heads up" in case you hadn't changed the springs before your big expedition.
Cheers,
Steve
walderse

Post by walderse »

John,
Here are some of the specs of the 2012 Ural Yamal LE:

Dimensions (LxWxH): 101.6″ x 66.9″ x 43.3″
Seat Height: 30.9″
Road clearance: 5.9″
Dry Weight: 739 lbs
Recommended max speed: 62 mph
Engine: OHV Air-cooled, 4 stroke, opposed twin cylinder
Bore & Stroke: 78×78 (mm)
Compression Ratio: 8.6:1
Displacement: 749cc
Rated HP @ 5600 RPM: 40
Rated Torque @ 4600 RPM: 38 ft-lbs
Fuel System: Carbureted, dual Keihin L22AA, 32mm
Clutch: Dry, dual disk
Alternator Max Output: 55amp, 770 watts
Starting: Electric & Kick starter
Transmission: 4 forward, 1 reverse
Final Drive: Shaft drive
Recommended Fuel: 91 Octane Unleaded
Tank Capacity: 5.0 gallons
Front Brakes: Brembo with full floating disk
Rear Brakes: Mechanical drum
Sidecar Brakes: Mechanical drum
Ignition System: Full electronic C.D.I.
Front Suspension: Leading link w/Sachs hydraulic shock absorbers
Rear Suspension: Sachs hydraulic shock absorbers
Wheel Size(front, rear, and sidecar): 19″
Wheel Type: Aluminum, steel spokes, cast alum. hubs
Miles per Gallon: 26-33 mpg
Trunk Volume: 2.9 cubic ft
Color: Flat Orange with black 3M undercoating in key areas
Special features: Rider fairing and passenger windshield, dual accessory front mounted fog lights, handguards, knobby spare tire, accessory paddle, “Yamal teeth” decal, LE badging, on demand 2WD

For more photos/details, please go to:

http://www.imz-ural.com/2012-yamal-limited-edition/

And to see the ship after which the motorcyle is named, please go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1XMZTzELaE

If we do take the trailer on the journey, we will likely use is as a tow along galley/shower/etc. facility. With its current independent suspension, I don't think it will ever carry more than 100kg at any time. By taking two vehicles, we can actually better document the journey by having a pair of camera bases of operation rather than just one. Drive by filming can be done without the subject vehicle having to return to pick up the camera operator once the shot is done. Taking two vehicles does have its down side but having continuously available vehicle-to-vehicle communication should help. Besides, two orange and black oddities are always better than one...right?

Steve,
Good pick-up on the springs. It actually has the four heavy springs on all corners as it was equipped when it came to us. Once we have the camper shell in pace and work out the details of the stowage under the truck's platform, we will pick our lighter springs then. I must admit that I have been giving some serious thought to the idea of replacing the standard shocks, limiting straps and coil spring assemblies with pairs of old school adjustable motorcycle shock spring combinations. Remember when motocross bikes had a pair of rear shocks attached to a swingarm? I think the only real mechanical challenge would be the lower front shock bolts as their forward nut also functions as a steering stop.

We appreciate all the input and interest people have shown. Keep the ideas comeing. would look at this expedition as a group effort.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The steering stop nuts would not be a problem as the shocks mount behind the swing arm and you just need a bush with the correct size ID for the existing stud to go through.

BMW did some "Air compression" shocks which replaced standard shocks with coil over springs at one point in the history of their boxer twins. I am not sure what their ratings were, but IF they work, you could put 4 on and then be able to adjust spring rate / ride height on the fly using an on board mini compressor.

John