My son's first ride in a Haflinger

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
Callahan

My son's first ride in a Haflinger

Post by Callahan »

A short video of my son's first ride in my brother's Haflinger in Victoria, Australia
This one since sold.
But another currently under restoration.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/62xa62xnk9pq2 ... ropped.avi
heinkeljb

Re: My son's first ride in a Haflinger

Post by heinkeljb »

That's good, but now you need to find somewhere with a bit more changeling! :LOL:

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Callahan

Post by Callahan »

And here's another photo of a different Haflinger - was owned by my brother but recently sold.

Cheers,

Jim
Attachments
Haflinger Olive Shrunk.jpg
Haflinger Olive Shrunk.jpg (223.02 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
Callahan

Post by Callahan »

And here's one from the archives. A different Haflinger this time. According to my father this was the first Haflinger imported into Australia by Anti-Friction Bearing company in 1962. Testing performance and alternative tyres on a logging track in the Otway Ranges, Victoria.

The second photo from 1973 is of my grandfather driving the same Haflinger on my father's farm in South Western Victoria.

My concern is that the affliction is genetic, spanning four generations of the family.

Jim
Attachments
Haflinger HOH564.jpg
Haflinger HOH564.jpg (320.73 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
Haflinger in the wet 1973 shrunk.jpg
Haflinger in the wet 1973 shrunk.jpg (260.79 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hello Jim,

I think we have been in contact nearly two years ago. I was also in contact with your dad and I have used the picture of HOH 564 on my website at: http://tdc.haflinger-4wd.com/countries/australia.php. There is also shown a historic picture of that Haflinger which I found here in Graz within the archive of an ex SDP employee.

HOH 564 is indeed a very interesting vehicle and I wonder what has happened with it. It was possibly the first Haflinger imported by AFB, as you already stated. I wonder if you or your dad maybe have more pictures of that Haflinger?

I think that the picture below HOH 564 shows a different Haflinger, because it's a younger one with the fuel tank under the passenger seat. It's just the colors that make it look similar.

Kind regards,
Constantin
Callahan

Post by Callahan »

Yes Constantin, it was my father that you were in contact with. And I trust your keen eye - it is quite possible the two orange Haflingers are not the same vehicle. I will ask some questions and also see if he has some more photos!

Jim.
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hello Jim

It great that you have these photos all those years on. Ive been in touch with a fellow in South Australia who is restoring what he says is the first Haflinger sold in Australia by Anti Friction Bearings (AFB). He has been given the records of all the imports into Australia, which would be an invaluable resource. The first one was imported by an Agricultural and Engineering firm called Moffatt Virtue. The first sold by AFB is not necessarily the first one imported by them (and first imported by AFB may then be HOH 564- perhaps kept by AFB as a demonstrator- hence the lettering on the side boards). The build date of the first one sold by AFB was 30 April 1962, and chassis number was [deleted]. He is pretty confident his is the first AFB Haflinger sold going by the AFB records and the letter saying as much from Haflinger Sales and Service (who took over importation from AFB). Clear as mud?

Dont suppose your father would know what happened to HOH 564, or why the cyclonic air fiter was mounted on the front side? Can he tell us if HOH 564 was kept by AFB as a demonstrator?

with kind regards

Rick
Last edited by Rick K on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
Callahan

Post by Callahan »

Constantin,
You are correct. Those two orange Haflingers are different units. Both were demo units which my father (John) had the use of for some time. Contrary to what I told you, he did not actually own HOH564 so while it was undoubtedly the first imported to Australia by AFB it is almost certainly not the first one actually sold. So the pieces of the puzzle are coming together! The side air intake on HOH564 was the first attempt at getting the intake away from the rear. They had not experienced dust like in Australia before. It was then moved front and centre.

Anyway he was in fact an agent for AFB for the Haflinger and also Steyr agricultural tractors. And continued on when Haflinger Sales and Service Pty. Ltd. took over as the importer. He sold a number of Haflingers and recalls about five of the specific customer or company names. I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to post the names in this forum??? He also sold some Steyr tractors and a Puch enduro motorcycle! The second orange unit posted above was fitted with the first Australian made doors and as you can see he was also experimenting with different tyres.

Of interest... in August 1963 the price for the basic vehicle in Australia was 970-12-0 pounds. The large canvas cab was 98-10-0 pounds. He still has the price lists!

Rick, He was not aware of Moffatt Virtue. Can you by any chance get the list of the import records from the bloke in Adelaide?

Cheers,

Jim
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hi Jim

Thanks for clearing that up with HOH, as first imported by AFB but not first sold by them. It would be great if it re-appeared again- Im sure it will turn up eventually. Your father has a wealth of knowledge about Haflingers in Australia- would he be willing to put his recollections to paper?

Im afarid Ive not been successful in obtaining those import records for the new Haflinger club website. Ill try again once the site is up. The fellow that owns the Australian Army Haflinger in Austria also has a copy of these records, but Ive not had any luck communicating with him either. These records would be of benefit to all owners here, to be sure.

with kind regards

Rick
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Correction

Just re-checked my information. The early Series I haflinger sent to Moffatt Virtue, the first imported to Australia, was chassis 5350104 and built on 24 November 1959. Apparently one on the first 130 built.

Earlier I attributed this chassis number to a 1962 Haflinger, the first sold by AFB in Australia. Apologies for the confusion.

Rick
Callahan

Post by Callahan »

He does recall that Moffatt Virtue was around that time the importer of Steyr agricultural tractors. So it starts to make sense.
Callahan

Post by Callahan »

A different one from the archives. This one seems to have an aluminium cab and a different rear engine door.
Attachments
image.jpg
(350.61 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hi Jim

Thanks for that pic. Ive got an early 63 Haflinger with the remains of the exact same sheetmetal canopy and hard doors. Do you know who made the canopy and how many might have been made. Next time Im out at my hangar, Ill take some photos of this canopy. Its nice to see a photo of how it looked originally. Thanks!

Rick
Callahan

Post by Callahan »

Rick,
I'm told Barry Jones made these cabs. But they weren't common.

Cheers,

Jim