My Haflinger has arrived..

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
cascade.king

My Haflinger has arrived..

Post by cascade.king »

Hello All,
Ok, just rolled off the back of a Dodge Dualy, having made the trip from Utah to Vermont (sadly, states were not positioned alphabetical by name.. It's a 2300 mile ride.)

Sold and titled as a 1973 Haflinger Pathfinder, the build date is 12/1971, which makes me wonder if the unit sat before sale, and titled at sale.

This vehicle was originally sold to Grelling Oil Company of Texas in the 1970s (ownership through a Mississippi satellite office).

Grelling Oil shipped the Haflinger to the Range Creek Ranch in Emery County, Utah. Range Creek was a popular Game ranch during that time, and the Haflinger was brought there for use during hunts by the Grelling Oil bigwigs.

According to reports, the vehicle saw sporadic use, and sat parked most of its life. After some time, the title of the Haflinger was signed over to Waldo Wilcox, owner of Range Creek. He didn't really use it and so, more sitting.

In 2001, Range Creek Ranch was sold by Waldo Wilcox to the State of Utah, and the Haflinger was moved to Green River, the town due south of the ranch.

It was purchased in a package deal along with a VW in 2001. The buyer wanted the VW, but was intrigued by the Haflinger. He ordered a set of books and some tune-up parts from Swiss Army Vehicles and got the engine running.

The vehicle was an oddity and used as a parade vehicle for the years the previous owner had it. Being a retired gentleman, he decided to sell some of his projects, including the Haflinger. In April, he placed the vehicle on eBay, garnering only tepid attention. It did not reach minimum bid.

I found the ended auction and contacted the seller to see if he was going to relist it. We did a private sale..

The vehicle was formally dark green (based on the unprinted side board and seat panels.) The Tweety Bird yellow was painted by the previous owner (his wife chose the color.)

It runs quite well, little smoke, and shows 4405 miles. It has its Eberspacher installed. No top. No doors.

Needs its electrics sorted out if it is ever to see a public road, and the brakes are leaking out of the right rear brake cylinder.

God, these little trucks are so COOL!
image.jpg
image.jpg (107.18 KiB) Viewed 2573 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (65.91 KiB) Viewed 2573 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (79.93 KiB) Viewed 2573 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (78.12 KiB) Viewed 2573 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (101.7 KiB) Viewed 2573 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (120.59 KiB) Viewed 2573 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (122.58 KiB) Viewed 2573 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (116.21 KiB) Viewed 2573 times
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
AustHaflinger

Re: My Haflinger has arrived..

Post by AustHaflinger »

Glad it arrived all safe and well - the colour does stands out :D but better than dull dark green.

Certainly travelled a great distance - almost the equivalent of driving across Australia - almost the same as Perth the Sydney.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Pity it didn't do that under it's own steam though.... I know would have take 6 months but then what an interesting 6 moth that would be!

Did you take pictures of the actual unloading? Did you try the magic table cloth trick?

If the only mechanical thing wrong with it is a leaking rear wheel cylinder and missing wipers, I think you have got a good truck. The lack of a hood is a bit of a bummer as you'll get wet!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
maxhafli

Post by maxhafli »

Hi Mike,

welcome to the world Haflinger ! 8-)
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

I didn't get any photos of the actual offloading, as I was driving down a pair of mildly sketchy ramps into my yard. Note, 6 foot ramps to level ground WILL get the Hafi out the back without issue. It's been so wet here in New England, the Haflinger sunk into the yard..
Mike
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

By the way.. Can a build date of 12/1971 be considered a 1973? I need to get it registered, and want to get it right. I would assume 1972. Any historians want to chime in on this issue?
Mike
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Mike

I dont know if my Antipodean details are of any use, but my Pathfinder was built in May 1972, sent to Australia in May 1974 to the local importer, and first sold 'new' in Tasmania in 1976 (previous owner suggested last one sold as a new car in Australia). The registration Papers say 1976. So she sat around at the factory for a couple of years until being sold- and underwent a RHS conversion! I dont know what year to refer to.

Similar to what you have described.

cheers

Rick
Attachments
Australian Pathfinder, 1972, 74 or 76?
Australian Pathfinder, 1972, 74 or 76?
Stammkarten_74Haf.jpg (52.7 KiB) Viewed 2535 times
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
walderse

Post by walderse »

Hello to all,
Mike...congratulations on a successful trip in bringing your truck to its new home. Having just covered a fair distance with your 1971 North American Haflinger, I think you can appreciate the next bit of information.

In 1983, Gerry Bockus purchased a non-running 1971 NA Haflinger from a previous owner somewhere in New Jersey. He had it trucked to North Hero, Vermont where he did a minor tune-up to get the truck running again. He then did something that most current Haflinger owners would consider insane. He headed out on the road, driving north to within two miles of the Vermont, USA/Quebec, Canada border and headed...west...until he hit ocean. No joke! Something on the order of 3,293 miles in one five day drive. Here is a brief account of the journey in Gerry's own words.

"day one
start in early morning from North Hero, Vermont, drive to Indianapolis...which took all day and thru the nite via Buffalo, NY and Columbus Ohio.

day two
early morning start, again, like four thirty a.m.,from Indianapolis, to Lincoln, Nebraska via St Louis.

day three
drive from Lincoln, Neb to Grand Junction, Colorado via Denver and the Eisenhower Tunnel

Day Four
up at the crack of dawn at Grand Junction in order the arrive at cousins house near Carson City, Nevada. This route took me on hwy 50 thru Ely, Nevada. garden spot of the west?

Day five
from Carson City to San Francisco via South Lake Tahoe.

Hooray!
would I do it again?
only in a Haflinger convoy with other like minded crazy Haf friends!"

We look forward to hearing more about your travels in the "new" Haflinger in Vermont. May it bring you many years of interesting travels.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Now that's a good journey!

I would probably have taken more time over it as it is nice to see the country side you are driving through...

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

My buddy Greg has done the cross country run in his VW Things a few times, all off the highways, and at sub 55mph, many thought he was nuts. I envy him.

Maybe when my Hafi is up to snuff, and my son is older, we will do a run ourselves.

VT is famous for our road trips.. since we invented the idea here..

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horatio_Nelson_Jackson
Mike