Hello from the UK

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
Grobb

Hello from the UK

Post by Grobb »

Hello there,

Just joined up in order to learn a little more about Haffs really. My father is a member of one of the clubs and we have been trying to come to a few of the rallies although the Treffen in Derbyshire was a bit of a washout with the bad winter we had and I missed the one back in Kent. Hopefully, I'll be able to tag along at the next Southern one and catch up with a few of you.

Is there any owners based in the Surrey area out of interest?
Grobb
Julian B

Re: Hello from the UK

Post by Julian B »

Hi Grobb, Welcome! Not quite Surrey, but I live near Haywards Heath in mid Sussex, and I share my (long gone) father's Haf with my brother who lives near Petworth. Whereabouts are you based?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Grobb

Post by Grobb »

Hello Julian,

I'm in the Cobham area, although the Haffs live at my fathers back in Kent. I keep seeing BOAT Byways around the Surrey hills and have been trying to coax him up here for an explore. Would be good to get a few people together if anyone else is local(ish).

Mind you, I should think you have some pretty good green lanes down there too. I keep meaning to come for an explore around Midhurst :)
Grobb
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

There are various "Green Lane" things that may be of interest to people:-

http://www.glass-uk.org/

In East Sussex:-

http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/leisureand ... rgeMap.htm

http://qwerf.com/greenlaning/

I am sure there are similar sites dealing with other areas. The major problem with web site maps like the eastsussex.gov one is that they state that you have to go to the offices to see the "Offical map" and that the online one might not be accurate!

If the online one isn't accurate, why put it up there at all? I know of at least one section marked on that online map which does not exist on the ground. It would take you through a freshly ploughed filed if it were correct. Also there are no sign posts pointing into the field so it can't be that Farmer has decided just to plough the B.O.A.T.

It also appears that the majority of the B.O.A.T.s in East Sussex are NOT near me, so I would have to travel quite a way on ordinary road to get to them. I am trying to map out a route using ordinary single track road to take me to some of the B.O.A.T.s in a sort of circular route.

John

Oh, by the way - Welcome Grobb
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:There are various "Green Lane" things that may be of interest to people:-
I feel sorry for you poor Brits - having to be restricted to creeping along greenlanes over the back fence rather than having some real wide open country to drive in. :o

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

We don't have "quite" the same land area as you Gary - and this poor little island has been "civilised" for so long that every bit has been tamed / owned!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Grobb

Post by Grobb »

Theres a short one thats pretty well signposted just down the lane from me although it looks pretty flat and not all that interesting.

I think the other problem is that there are a minority of militant ramblers that keep campaigning for byways to be reclassified. Between them and some of the less respectful green laners it seems to be getting harder and harder to find places.

Cheers heinkeljb, I will have a look. I bet Aussie has some amazing countryside to explore garrycol? I've seen a few pictures of the Haffs in Aus and it looks great fun.