This one needs a bit of TLC!

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
Callahan

This one needs a bit of TLC!

Post by Callahan »

My Dad's SWB Haflinger. I checked the serial number plate and Fzg. Nr. = 5313021.
But I was a bit perplexed by the plate which says: Fzg. Typ: STEYR-PUCH 703APK HAFLINGER
Sept 1974
From what I understand 703 means it is LWB (no) and K = Kommunal = Polycab (no).
Not sure what is going on there! Maybe someone else can explain.

Cheers,

Jim
Attachments
2013-09-10 13.50.04.jpg
Haflinger photo.
(3.23 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Rick K

Re: This one needs a bit of TLC!

Post by Rick K »

Hello Jim

Yes, that wasnt the Haflinger I expected to see when opening up the pic. Have you checked if the number on the side of the gearbox matches the chassis number on the ID plate? That may tell you if the tray/body is original to the chassis/drive train. Ive seen a few non-orignal SDP ID plates where they have been pop-rivetted on. The original rivets for the ID plates are blind-dome headed rivets. That may give you another clue.

cheers

Rick
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

It is possible to change things like the central drive tube for the short version if it started out as a long one - that would change the wheel base from long to short (Can also be done the other way round)

If the existing platform is definitely a short wheel base (look for an added gap between the rear foot wells and the front seats), then the most likely explanation is as all ready suggested, the chassis plate has been changed for some reason.

It could also be possible that as it is "apparently" a very late Haflinger, that they had run out of the "correct" plates and just used what was to hand. :geek: That has happened more often than you think with other manufacturers as they are struggling with cash flow etc.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Callahan

Post by Callahan »

Rick, I'm interstate now so can't check the number on the side of the gearbox. Will check at Christmas time.
John, Well it was purchased new by him so there is no doubt it was always SWB. And your comment is exactly the response I got when I asked him if he could explain what might have happened. He said that they did use up whatever remaining parts there were remaining towards the end of production but couldn't say for sure if that included knowingly using the incorrect ID plates. He did say that the final batch of bug-eye Hafs that were destined for North America got redirected to Australia - CKD I assume (?).

Regards,

Jim