New Ozzie Member from Brisbane

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
OzzieHaffy

New Ozzie Member from Brisbane

Post by OzzieHaffy »

Hi All,
Well I am the proud owner of a 'new' Haffy, actually a 1971 restored vehicle.
Vehicle No 5311131,Chassis 5361472,Motor 5363606
I purchased this vehicle from David Wale in Victoria. David and his late Father dad spent 6 years restoring it now I consider it a privilege to enjoy their efforts.
I used to own a 6x6 Pinzgauer way back in the 80's so it is great to rejoin the Steyr-Puch fold.

I currently have a problem trying to register it in Queensland.The Queensland Main Roads department considers it a Military vehicle and only owned by the Australian Army thus I am only offered a conditional registration under the 'Utility off road vehicle' category. I have written and explained that these were also sold as private vehicles, however if any Australian members have theirs Haflingers registered 'normally' then I would appreciate a your registration number to convince these bureaucrats otherwise.
I realise I can register it as a club registration however that is too restrictive for me.

Other than being 'retired', I am driving a 4x4 Fuso canter camper around the world, (see http://www.goannatracks.com), building accessories and campers for the newly released Iveco 4x4, …in all life is good.

Cheers
Haflinger 700 AP/2 (1970)
Fuso Canter 4x4 Expedition
Iveco Daily 4x4 Expedition
AustHaflinger

Re: New Ozzie Member from Brisbane

Post by AustHaflinger »

Welcome to the forum - surely your vehicle has previously registered so if you have those details - which will be in the database which are now linked between states you should have no issue.

Of course you should point out to them that the vehicles were assembled in Melbourne and sold commercially well after the army haffies came into service.

I have just transferred my haflinger to historic plates but previous recent registrations were.

Tasmania - up until early this year.

ACT - April to October this year

My Haflinger is a civilian version built in Melbourne in 1973 and has been registered in TAS, WA, TAS, ACT.

Good luck with it - I know Queenslanders can be a bit backward. :lol:

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hello

Firstly well done on buying David Wale's restored haffy- he had been sending me pictures over the years during the restoration and he struck me as a perfectionist. He also rebuilt a Series 1 engine for me some years ago. Im sorry to hear of your troubles with the QLD rego, I had the exact same thing here in NSW. Some clown in their engineering dept claimed that Haflingers were only ever used in the mines, and so should not be eligible for road registration. To counter this stupid claim, I sent them photos of Haflingers with NSW number plates taken over the previous decades, and a few committee meetings later they let me register 2 haflingers. So I think you are on the right track. I may have a few photos with haflingers registered in QLD- Ill go and have a look. My 1966 ex-army Haflinger was until 3 years ago registered in Queensland- see photos below. If you send me your email address I can send copies of the QLD rego papers if that helps.

Good luck

Rick
Attachments
prior Queensland registration
prior Queensland registration
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

You seem to have similar issues with "government departments", the we have! They claimed mine was a 9.9999 liter engined beast and it took 4 attempts to get them to list it as having 4 seats!

Put to together a folder of several other Hafi with road registration, give them Web links to various sites like this one so if they do actually pull their fingers out to see what it is that is being registered, they will find that there is a mixture of civilian and ex-military Haflingers around the world and it is not just some home made off road thing (Something I was asked the other day)!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
OzzieHaffy

Post by OzzieHaffy »

Thanks to all for your replies.
With the pics posted and an internet search of Photographs of Halfingers I have managed to put together a list of 5 vehicles that have full Australian registration.
Also a fair bit of communication with the powers that be and their latest reply " You will be receiving a response in due course."

Rick, Being a recent member I cannot pm however my e-mail address can be found on my web mentioned above.
and Sam Will call you after the festive season

Cheers
Kym
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The inability to PM people should solve it self if you post a few more times.

Are you planing to take the Haflinger with you on your trips? Towing a trailer does increase the fuel useage!

Still it would be nice to see some photos of your collection. I did a quick "how to" for posting photos in the Random Pictures section.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
OzzieHaffy

Post by OzzieHaffy »

Below my new Haflinger.
Most my age go and buy a Harley not me!

Below also my Fuso Canter 4x4 Camper, currently stored up in a farm shed outside Montevideo/ Uruguay. We plan to return in June 2014 after my current Commercial Expedition Camper build is finished. The new project is base on the Iveco Daily 4x4.

Not planning to take the Haffy with me…at the moment. Our truck is in Sth America and will not be returning it to Oz for 2-3 years.
Currently under build is my demo Iveco 4x4 camper. Normally we would tow a 4x4 quad bike in a 6x4 caged box trailer, which is great for exploring isolated beaches. Maybe in a few years when I am more intimate with the Haffy I will take it…but not on the beach !
The big advantage is that it (will be) road registered. That's the plan.
Attachments
Camped on the notorious BR319
Camped on the notorious BR319
On the barge crossing the Amazon
On the barge crossing the Amazon
My Christmas present to me !
My Christmas present to me !
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

I am the proud owner of a 700APT again, 40 years after I owned my first one. I live in Bundaberg but I'm planning a trip south soon to meet another owner on the Sunshine Coast. Let me know if you're interested in joining us. Do you have a trailer?

John Wood