Picture of it:-
SDC12983.JPG
SDC12576.JPG
Alf
heinkeljb

Re: Alf's 6x6 Haflinger

Post by heinkeljb »

I like this!
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Ole

Post by Ole »

Very cool! I have always wanted to see how the mechanics of this setup work.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Alf is not so computer savvy yet so I will try and answer some of the questions.

He engineered the 6x6 a long time ago and for a while it was the only one around. It is probably the only road legal one around. I know there are atleast 3 others, but I have never seen them driving on the road with other traffic unless they were hidden in a long convoy of other Haf's at a Treffen. The videos on YouTube are all on private land so even though they appear to have "number plates" it is not clear if they are road legal.

Anyway to get back to Alf's 6x6x.

It has disc brakes up front.
It has a cut down / machined original Haflinger gearbox / differential unit that is connected to an original gearbox / Diff unit. An 850cc version of the original Haflinger engine provides power.
Cut down central tube as it is the same length as a LWB Haflinger. Front diff is upside down due to the rotation of the central tube shaft which is now turning the opposite way from original.
The rear suspension is based on the same design as a Pinzgauer.

I apologise to Alf if I have gotten anything wrong. I hope he will manage to log on here and see this post and comment directly.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Ole

Post by Ole »

Thanks for the explenation John. Any word on how the steering is on these? Im thinking there must be some scrubbing going on in the rear trying to twist the double rear axles sideways. probably not a problem in the rough, but I imagine tight turns on the road is interesting.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Alf originally had it so it steered the front two sets of wheels, but because the steering fulcrum was above the prop shaft tube, if you went over a bump, it made the second pair of wheels steer the wrong way. So it currently has steering only on the front pair of wheels and as you say, scrubs the rear two sets, but as the wheel base it not really very long and the two rear wheel pairs are quite close together, it is not too bad. Certainly no worse than it you have the diff locks in on an ordinary haflinger.

As far as I know there is a 6 wheel Haflinger that has been made on which the middle wheels are just passive. I.E. there is no drive to them, they just provide greater weight carrying capability for the platform.

Another two have specially made middle wheel differential housings. Alf used original Haflinger gearbox / differentials and joined two together to make his one.

John