New Haflinger from France

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
Groucho

New Haflinger from France

Post by Groucho »

Hello,

I am the owner of 2 haflinger in bad shape.

Fisrt one, a 65, with a rather bad platform and quite all the parts.
Second one, a 70 with a very very bad platform, no part except a Huber winch and a heating system comming direct from the motor.

All french original with their MAM plate.

Still dont know what I want to do with them due to the huge amount of work. I was able to restart the older one and pass the french technical validation and I have done some work on the platform, cutting (most of) all the rust.

Regards
ogdenenterprise

Re: New Haflinger from France

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Hi
Welcome to the forum.

Dave
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Welcome,

Some pictures would be nice. Sounds like you have a lot of work to do repairing the platforms. There are quite a few suppliers now who are able to provide you with parts for repair both the platform and the drive line.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Thanks,

For the picture, I will try to take one before continuing to take it in part.

Regards

Vincent
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Vincent,

It would also be nice if you could put a vauge location of where you are in your profile. This forum gets people from all of the world so it is nice to know where you are. Also there are differences between the Haflingers from different parts of the world which, can be allowed for if we know which part of the world you are in.

Pictures of the winch would be nice as there are very few of them around.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Hi,

Here is a picture of the 70' one. The front is very very rusty, you can see the floor fron the inside. And also the panel for the lever of the winch.

I added my country in the profile.

Regards
Attachments
PXL_20230926_185443067.jpg
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Vincent,
The platform does not actually look that bad. If the only rust holes are in the front footwell and the winch hatch, then you have quite a good starting pointfor a restoration. Very 1980's rewiring by running all the cables on top ot the platform in a piece of piping! I am not quite sure what the big thick grey pipes /wires are that are looped round in the engine bay are there for.
Do you know where / what the Haflinger was used for? With a Winch, maybe farming, pulling a plough? Maybe forestry, Pulling fallen trees? There are very few Haflingers with a winch on them.
Do you know of any other Haflingers near yo that you can go and look at to see where things originally went? Actually, I would be inclined to keep things as they are and just repair the things that don't work! Keeps the History of the vehicle rather than rebuilding it to exactly how it left the factory. There are lots of those types around compared to ones which have survived and have been altered as time goes by!
Some more pictures of it would be nice, if you can manage it.
Good luck with both of them.

John

Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Hi John,

Well the wiring is unknown and the good news is that I manage to restart the engine tonite.

The last owner used it for trials. Before no idea. My first thought was to use it to play forestry.
But I cannot reinstall the winch easily because some part are missing, especially the one from the output of the gearbox to the winch (splin axe + shaft drive). And the winch is also rusty, with some smal parts missing.
My next step is to work on the breaks.

Regards
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Vincent,
Getting the winch working does not need to happen soon, you are going to have to take time to find all the missing bits as they are very rare. Brakes are far more important! I would replace at a minimum, the flexible hoses, the brake wheel cylinders, and the brake shoes. You might have to replace the master cylinder if it does not work or is seized.

Getting the engine running is a big plus! Well done.

John

Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Thanks John for the advice.

His there a document that shows the parts of the Huber winch ? Or even better a manual for maintenance ?

Regards
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I think the man you were dealing with James Price ([email protected]) has more knowledge about the winches than I, He has rebuilt one in the last couple of years.

John

Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Hi,

Some news from my haflinger. I worked on the break, all the flexible are bad. So I exchanged them. I need to work on the light and I will be able to go for a legal control check. Then I will decide of the next actions.
Waiting for this, I work on the winch. Very rusty, no schema, slow progress, currently taking the cable out so the winch will be lighter !

Regards
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I would not worry about the winch just yet and leave it until the more important stuff is done and the vehicle is on the road.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Hi Garry,

Well, I wont have time to go to the control shop before mid november, that is why I work on the winch. I need a lot of de-rusting product, but it works. I also manage to take off the drum 50m of 8mm cable.

Regards
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Well done Vincent,
I think you have discovered the same thing as a lot of Haflinger owners have discovered over the years. Either you have the time and the resources to work on a Haflinger full time, in which case you can get a restoreation of what ever sort you have planned to happen quickly or, as for most people, it take years to carry out the work!
I think the best way is to do try and get a specific job done, like the engine or the brakes. Then move on to something else.

Work on the platform comes down to you having space to either be able to dismantle it completeley and sort everything nicely whilst you work on on mending hoes or replacing panels. Or you have to do that work whilst it is all still together and is more difficult.

Good luck with all the jobs you need to do on them. Ask questions on here if you need to. I am sure we can help in some small ways if nothing else.

Don't for get to post pictures, we all like to see how things go!

John