Is there anyone on the forum who knows about PHPBB forums?

heinkeljb

Is there anyone on the forum who knows about PHPBB forums?

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi everybody,

The PHPBB software that runs the forum is out of date. I need to update it, but don't know enough about how to do it without doing lots of research which I would rather not have to do. If there is someone who already knows what to do and would be willing to either tell me what I need to do (in a step by step method) or even do the job for me? That would be very nice.
phpbb version.JPG
John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Re: Is there anyone on the forum who knows about PHPBB forum

Post by Julian B »

Hi John,

I'm afraid that phpbb is well above my pay grade, and don't have a clue how to drive it.

Julian
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

What is phpbb??

Is this any help? https://www.phpbb.com/community/
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

I have run phpBB forums in the past and am still moderator over on one.
There are lots of steps that need to be done so the site does not "break"
The host has to support the newest version is the 1st key step and that the server meets the new minimum specs required by the new version
Then the forum has to have at least 1 (2,3 or 4+ are better) recent backup in case something goes wrong.
After that then it is just about getting into the backend, downloading the latest greatest (actually best to be on the most stable release, which is generally 1 version behind) phpBB software and then install/upgrade.
Happy to help any way I can, what version are you currently running?
That will determine how hard/easy the upgrade process is :)
Dan

PS: I am no expert but as I said, happy to help anyway I can and I do know a few "experts or at least more qualified tech's"
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Dan,

I am only going by the above picture which gives version numbers 3.0.12 and say newest version is 3.0.14, but when I follow the link provided it takes me to the PHPBB.com web wage with 3.2.2 which seems like a very big jump to me. I know other types of software where a jump like that means they won't "upgrade" but will require a fresh install.

As far as backups go, are we talking about the backups you get from logging into this web site as an Administrator or the backups you get by logging into the forum hosting portal?

I know you helped Vince over on real4x4 which is one of the reason I think I should do something about it rather than wait until the forum suffers from the issues they had.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

Reply below in red
heinkeljb wrote:Hi Dan,

I am only going by the above picture which gives version numbers 3.0.12 and say newest version is 3.0.14, but when I follow the link provided it takes me to the PHPBB.com web wage with 3.2.2 which seems like a very big jump to me. I know other types of software where a jump like that means they won't "upgrade" but will require a fresh install.
3.2 is the newest (3.2.2) and it is a big jump but the only one supported now (3.1 and earlier are no longer supported by phpBB).
There are steps to do it and they (phpBB.com) have guides link: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... /upgrade3/
Take a look at that and see how comfortable you are - there are things that WILL break and the style will need to be redone!

As far as backups go, are we talking about the backups you get from logging into this web site as an Administrator or the backups you get by logging into the forum hosting portal?
Both!

I know you helped Vince over on real4x4 which is one of the reason I think I should do something about it rather than wait until the forum suffers from the issues they had.
I did not do much other that email him a bunch and help support the hiring an expert :)
Many thanks for any help you can provide.

John
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
jhon

Post by jhon »

John, Dan - I don't have any of the skills or knowledge to help you with this problem - however I would like to pass on my appreciation for your work and efforts in keeping the forum working.

Thank you!
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

It’s all John as it’s his forum. I am just a user like everyone else but happy to help if needed as this is a valuable resource!
Cheers,
Dan
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT