BN4 heater?

Rabbit 16v

BN4 heater?

Post by Rabbit 16v »

I figured this might be the best place to post this. So I have a bn4 I got from a VW bus about 20 years ago. My haffie has no heat at all. Im sure this may be overkill, but has anyone fitted a petrol heater to their Haffie? If so, where did you mount it?
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
AustHaflinger

Re: BN4 heater?

Post by AustHaflinger »

A fuel burning heater was an option for Hafingers - goes on the passenger side under the dash - Section 30 of the parts manual has it listed and the owners manual has glimpses of it at the start where it gives the dash layout and there is a section near the end.

As an alternative to the burner you could install the exhaust heat exchanger system (similar to a beetle heater).

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Ive seen it placed there. The bn4 is quite large by comparison, so its not really an option. Plus the jack goes in that area.

Im not keen on the heater box idea from the exhaust either. I dont have those parts and its probably more expensive to get them than it is to use the heater I have lying about.
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The actual heater goes on the passenger side footwell, with a rail for the passenger to put their feet on. The exhaust exits through the floor in front of the wheel.
Simplest thing would be to post on Facebook, as the Europeans have these and can post some pictures of the installation. I am no sure there are any pictures on here.
Lurch, my Haflinger has the heat exchanger system for heating and it works well. It is similar to the Beetle system in that is uses hot exhaust gas to heat the air that is already heated a bit by the cylinders and then along a tube on top of the torque tube and into the cab. Unless you can find the complete system as a "spare parts" listing, it would be expensive to put together bit by bit.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I am thinking of trying one of these. Small and cheap - not petrol but does have its own diesel tank.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-5000W-A ... 1438.l2649
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Ok, I posted on Facebook requesting some pictures. hopefully that will help sort things for me to get an idea of what to do.

Those little diesel heaters work very well. I have one in one of my VW LTs and it keeps it warm all night when its below freezing outside. I actually have one in like new condition sitting in a box. I thought about installing it, but I am not keen on having to supply two different fuels.
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

I posted this on FB for you but will post here for the archives in case someone finds this thread.
I have other photos and parts of manuals (in jpg, will see about converting to PDF)
Dan
812C34BD-6418-4024-A340-BA75231AFCCB.jpeg
Attachments
BA2BCE8F-481C-48A2-9436-30AFD31C6945.jpeg
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Thanks!
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

G,,day
i have an Eberspacher petrol heater meant for the Haffy .
it is available

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Thanks for the offer, but I already have this heater. So I intend to work with what I have.
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Ok, back to this. I found another heater in another bus I have. Its a BN2. I also found the bracketry to mount it. So, where it is now, I have the OE vent thingy that goes on the end of the heater for distributing the heat. I attached the defrost vents with aftermarket bits. Wired it all in. Just need to sort a little bit of probably low voltage situation and we should be fine.

That said, the inlet and exhaust ports are an issue. I would prefer not to have them in the passenger floor. They will get smashed for sure. I read that the exh and intake length need to be the same? Max exh length is one meter? Any credence to that? I would like to have the exh exit the side of the Haffie on the PS footwell and the air intake come from the PS footwell, but behind the passengers legs.
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

There should not be a problem with that arrangement. Except - the exhaust gas does produce water as a by product and this could collect in any bend(s) in you pipe work and cause it to rust quickly. This is the main reason most car exhaust rust from the inside out and fail inspections.

The diesel air heaters recommend a 4mm hole in the lowest point of the bend to drain the water out, but that also mean your exhaust system has a hole in it to let the exhaust gases out and it that hole is inside the cabin, then you would be poisoning yourselves.

Lurch has the heat exchanger system, but the current replacement engine has had the holes that supply the air from the cylinders to the heat exchangers blocked off to increase the cooling air to the cylinders. I am looking at fitting a small diesel air heater and would put it on the platform behind the seats. Would have to make two holes in the platform to pass the exhaust pipe to under the platform, the hot air supply to join up with the original hot air heating system, the cold air intake can take the cold air from above the platform. I am not very keen on this "making holes in the platform" bit, so trying to think of other options that don't require them. One of the other caveats of the hot air heaters is that you should not get water up the exhaust system! SO no fording deep puddles if they would get water either up the exhaust pipe or covered because the footwell fills up with water. if you mount it there!

Post some pictures of your build - I am sure it will be of interest to people.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
robw

Post by robw »

A few pictures showing my setup if that's helpful
Attachments
Exhaust arrangement
Exhaust arrangement
Chinese heater with remote control
Chinese heater with remote control
Diesel fuel tank masquerading as a spare jerry can
Diesel fuel tank masquerading as a spare jerry can
external ducting arrangement
external ducting arrangement
Minkuni heater ducted into a section from a heat exchange system
Minkuni heater ducted into a section from a heat exchange system
robw

Post by robw »

Just to finish off the collection - an original petrol eberspacher heater inside and out. Obviously fueled from the main petrol tank so no need for a separate tank. This was supplied with the vehicle from new. Sadly no longer operational !
Attachments
IMG_20191119_134114.png
IMG_20191119_134055.png
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Thanks for all the pictures everyone! Thats helpful!

Good to know the heater doesnt care about pipe length. Im not worried about it rusting. Im probably going to make the exhaust tubing stainless steel anyway. Likely will finish it up with a false floor too.

Here is what I have going on right now.
Attachments
DSC_0630[1].JPG
DSC_0631[1].JPG
DSC_0632[1].JPG
DSC_0633[1].JPG
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

It only attempts to run for about 30 seconds and then shuts off. I suspect its a voltage thing. So, Im a little scurred to fire it up in the haffie without something on teh exhaust outlet for now
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Putting aside the heater, the biggest improvement has to be stopping all the drafts getting in the cab from around the doors and the canvas hood.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Ja, I see those gaps widen at the doors the faster I go, haha! My cab cover only covers the front two seats and I have a canopy for the rear, so I suspect its going to get pretty toasty up front!
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Ok, got it up and running. ended up routing the exhaust out of the passenger door since I had no tubing suitable to route it to the wheel well as intended. I can say this is going to work very well!
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms