What is the largest diameter tire?

Rodger

What is the largest diameter tire?

Post by Rodger »

Hello All

What is the largest diameter tire that will fit on a hafi?
I can not find 12 inch or 13 inch tires
I am planning on getting wheel adapters to use 14 inch Volkswagen wheels.

This new site looks great.

Thank you
Rodger
1971 Hafi North American model
1967 M109A3 All terrain camper
Pinzgauer 712 AMB camper - sold
Pinzgauer 710K camper - sold
heinkeljb

Re: What is the largest diameter tire?

Post by heinkeljb »

As far as I can tell (and I am by no means an expert on this subject or these vehicles) the hubs have a PDC of 98 which means if you look for rims which list as 4 x 98 (4 studs, 98mm between studs) and an offset of 35 should give you a rim on to which you can fit 145/75/13 up to about 185/80/13.

I have read that some people are running larger sizes in the 14, 15, even 17 inch rims. The limiting factor will be how much suspension travel you have before the tyre hits the bodywork AND how long the hubs last.

I don't know how much stress tolerance redundancy the original hubs have when it come to extra load being placed on them. This will happen if you put huge tyres on the vehicle.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AngelPantoja

Post by AngelPantoja »

Don´t forget that the tranny gear ratio has been thought to work just with the original tire size, if you change it for larger tires, the diameter of the wheel doesn´t keep the same and the lacks of power on Haflingers may result that has not power enough to move itself...
This is more important than just a question of suspension travel I think...
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I have 14" Fiat alloy wheels with 185/? R14 Mud and Snow tyres on it and though I have not as yet driven it offroad clearance seems fine.

Maxxis make a full on mud tyre that will fit and maintain clearance.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

Hello Gary

thank you. Nice looking Hafi.
I have a set of 13 inch Fiat alloy wheels. Did you have any trouble with the wheel stud length?
I took a quick look at the Maxxis website and did not see any 13 inch tires with an offroad tread. I plan too go back and look again.
I am having trouble finding an aggressive tire in 13 inch.

Rodger
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Roger - I have only had the Haffie for a short while and have not had the wheels off but looking at the wheel nuts the wheel stud does protrude - just.

Sorry - with respect to the Maxxis tyres I was referring to 14". Other than some retreads (All Terrain pattern) in 13" I have not come across any 13" muddies.

This is about the best I have found in Aust for 13" http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-x-NEW-OUTB ... 2c66c2633a I guess the same could be found where you are. I wouldn't normally use retreads but given the low weight and low speed of the Haffie they may be OK.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

Hello Garry

They look better than anything I found here in 13 inch.
Shipping them to the USA is probably expensive.

We do have the Maxxis tires here. I may get adapters and use the 14 inch Volkswagen wheels and the Buckshot Mudder tire.

thanks again
Rodger
New Mexico, USA
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Rodger wrote:I may get adapters and use the 14 inch Volkswagen wheels and the Buckshot Mudder tire.

thanks again
Rodger
New Mexico, USA
Why not just get wheels with the right PCD etc to go straight on rather than use the VW wheels.

Many Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Lancia wheels fit.

Have a look at this link which list PCDs for different car makes - there are quite a few there, particularly under the makes listed above.

http://www.carlsalter.com/wheel_fitments.html

Also this company sells wheels that may be suitable

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/steel-wheels/4x98
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:As far as I can tell (and I am by no means an expert on this subject or these vehicles) the hubs have a PDC of 98 which means if you look for rims which list as 4 x 98 (4 studs, 98mm between studs) and an offset of 35 should give you a rim on to which you can fit 145/75/13 up to about 185/80/13.

John
I have the opportunity to get some 13"x 5.5" wheels but I do not know what a suitable hub hole size is and how much variance on offset I can go. I think the wheels I am looking at have an offset of about 40.

So while the standard wheels might have an offset of 35 what would the ideal be for 13" wheels - I do prefer a wider stance that gives a bit more stability.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

There is a web site called "The tyre bible" or something similar which has a lot of info on wheels and offsets etc. maybe you can look on there to find out what offset you can use - I don't know which way the numbers go so does ET 35 mean the centre line of the wheel is nearer the centre of the vehicle compared with an ET 40? or is the other way round? The web site should be able to explain. As far as the centre hole is concerned, you can measure your hubs and then make sure the hole is atleast as big as that on the wheels you intend to get. If it is smaller, trouble - if it is bigger you can get rings to put on to get it centring correctly.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks John - as far as I am aware the larger the offset number the further the center of the wheel is into the wheel guards so an offset of 40 means that the centre of the wheel is 5mm further inside. Not sure that is clearer than mud.

Eg my 14"x5.5" wheels I currently have fitted stick out no further than the standard 12" wheels even though they are 2" wider so their offset must be greater than the standard wheels.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Gary,

I found this:-

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

It explains all this stuff quite well. So in the end you need to know what the ET number is for these tyres you are planing to buy.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks John - a great link which I have bookmarked for future reference.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I was thinking about getting these 13" Alfa rims (same pcd - 40mm offset)

and putting these tyres on to replace the 14" I currently have

I bought the rims off ebay but the seller has gone to ground - I have not paid as yet and asked for pick up details etc but no response despite a couple of messages. Maybe it is a scam and the seller was hoping I would pay with Paypal and then go to ground (it was their first sale on ebay). I thought those rims would go well on my Haffie. So if I haven't heard from the seller by the weekend I guess the sale is off.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Give them the benefit of the doubt until proven they are bad. Could be a genuine reason for not being in contact. Broadband down, sick etc.

Everybody has to start somewhere when selling / buying on Fleabay.

Other than the the Offset being wrong and the tyre width causing them to touch the springs there's not a lot wrong with them.

I am going to do a similar thing but I have gone for 13 inch rims off a Fiat Uno. We will see if they work.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:Other than the the Offset being wrong and the tyre width causing them to touch the springs there's not a lot wrong with them.
There will not be an issue - my current 14" rims are the same offset and width and the tyres I currently have are wider and higher and have no clearance issues. They just seem to be a bit too tall and the offset means the track is a little narrower highlighting stability issues - particularly when offroad. However 14" wheels with less offset to widen the track would be good but almost impossible to find.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Sprogly

Post by Sprogly »

Two alternative, that I have found

I used the Maxxis Ceros in 23x8x12 (205/70/12) front radial UTV tires on the OEM rims, all around. The tire is within an inch of the 165/12 Maloya in height, inflated to 18PSI. They are load rated at 580 lbs per tire. Under $100 US delivered. Traction is outstanding in the trail, on road they are squirmy at speed: like a softly sprung big car on bias ply winter tires. I am curious to try them in the snow and on sand, though I will need to be very careful airing them down, because the rims are quite narrow for the tire. They certainly look the part, and do not rub on any situation. Downside: They are not highway rated, I doubt that they will last long and mounted wheel and tire will not fit into stock spare tire holder.
http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/ATV ... Front.aspx

Here is a bias ply UTV option, also in 23x8x12: http://www.carlisletransportationproduc ... ts/Tires22

I also have a set of fiat 124 13x5 steel rims with a set of 175/70 TR goodyear winter tires: Great on road handling: cheap tires $50 US per tire, Street legal.
1971 Haflinger Pathfinder
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Yep, gonna necropost here!

The OP's original question was never answered, this thread turned into a wheel size discussion.

So - what's the max, reasonable tire diameter that'll work on a Haf? Giving decent off road performance, not stressing the system too much, etc. Maloya's are what...24" rolling diameter? If that's true, I'd figure something like a 26" diameter might well be max, giving some acceptable torque decrease and not too much more stress on the portals, trans, etc.

Tire profile and sidewall stiffness...have to address that too. Hell, might be easier to just get the cheapest road tire in the right size, and groove the heck out of it.....
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
Doug Lennox

Post by Doug Lennox »

[quote="garrycol"]I was thinking about getting these 13" Alfa rims (same pcd - 40mm offset)

Hi Garry,

I found these guys in Melbourne can supply steel or alloy rims to suit haf, http://www.italianjobauto.com . Friendly and easy to deal with but they are very busy to try and get on the phone.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks - I have spoken to them on other issues - they seem like a nice group.

Now have 12", 13" and 14" rims so now got enough lying around now. I can get offroad tyres for the 14" but can get nothing local for the 12" or 13". I can get ATV tyres for the 12" but they are not road legal and nothing now for the 13". These might go Ok on the 12" but they are probably just too big but seem Ok for limited road use. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ATV-UTV-TYRE ... XQVERS11Z7

On tyre sizes - my current tyres on my 14" rims work out at 26" and while there is a little more room when sitting there and they do mot rub offroad, I suspect anything larger would rub with suspension movement.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)