Seats

AustHaflinger

Re: Seats

Post by AustHaflinger »

Vampyr wrote:Was looking in the National archives search engine the other day and found stored footage of Haflinger parachute testing down out of Richmond . Hoping to get some copies. Danny
Did you get a pic of the trials where the parachute did not open properly - I think the only written off flat Haffie in the Army.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Actually Doug, I'm ex Cavalry. My Dad was old school 3RAR in the 50's. I was in the same brigade at the headquarters and put in to do my Dive Masters course and got a Para course instead, good old Australian army logic. Anyway did a lot with 3RAR and in the process did my back which ended my days commanding armoured vehicles. Being an Army brat I remember the Haffies when they were in service and always wanted one. Spoke to a some old Colonels I knew who loved them to scoot around in. I take it your ex 3RAR. The beauty of age and injury is finally learning slow and steady and not the Bull at the gate. Danny
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

No Gary, did not find that will look for it though. Have seen first hand what happens to 110 land rover's though. Not a good sight. Danny
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I heard it got written off in a air drop that went wrong during an open day/air show at Richmond.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Hi Danny.

No, I am not ex-3RAR but ex 2 SQN RAF Regiment, we had an airborne role in the early eighties when the theory was we would secure fwd operating areas for Harriers behind enemy lines. Nice in theory. I met a few ex 3 RAR guys when I moved to Sydney. In fact just arrived back in Sydney today for 3 weeks.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Enjoy Sydney, the sun is out and it's been fantastic weather the last couple of days, just restoring my seats now, so if you have time PM me and drop in. Danny
mechanical horse

Post by mechanical horse »

Gidday,
Am just reading these posts as I am currently restoring the seats out of mine. Alternate seats, I had a pair of jump seats from a Suzuki Sierra as rear seats in a Hilux. They were excellent as they were small, the back folded down and then the whole seat folded forward against the backs of the front seats. out of the way, which gave me extra room for aircraft recovery equipment. In a Suzuki they were designed to bolt to a flat floor so may work on a Haffie floor. I noticed how the subject drifted from 'seats" to "Army" I marched out of 6RAR just before they went airbourne in about middle 1980, so never made any jumps. Did some rapelling from UH 1's but most times couldn't bring myself to check that the end of the rope was actually on the ground as I am not keen on heights. Am just getting over a partly damaged knee , again, from humping a pack that was normally big enough for me to get into. Back is OK but other bits worn out. Am also an Army brat and remember getting rides on an Army mule at a Xmas picnic once, and also seeing a Haffie at Balcombe which was there for a long time probably as some Officers runabout. Never got a ride in it.
Regards Rick.
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Well Rick, we most likely ran into each other as I was 4 Cav in the 80"s and spent most of my time in Mortar tracks. I redid my seats not that long ago so if your short some parts PM me and I'll see if I have spare parts for you. Always good to hear old and bold stories makes you forget all your injuries, regards Danny
mechanical horse

Post by mechanical horse »

Hey Danny,
Small world !!!!!!!! After reading the bits on seats I went and counted all of my clips and hooks and I think I have got a full set. Have just done some aviation seats so have got metres of rubber strapping and my mate is an upholsterer so I think I should be right for the seats and the backs. Thanks anyway. I hate mortars, too heavy to carry the rounds and the first one I ever dropped down a tube in the US went clunk and sat there at the bottom of the tube. I have never seen blokes move away from me in such a hurry. Old habits last forever . I bet you have a base plate bolted into the back of the Haffie somewhere.
Regards Rick.