Subaru Engine transplant

safari-haf

Subaru Engine transplant

Post by safari-haf »

heinkeljb wrote:Hi Paul,

We need some pictures of your engine transplant one - new thread for that!

John
Hi John,

So had an unexpected trip down to the beach house to check on some construction. Managed to remember to take some pics for you. So here they are attached. Let me know if you have any questions. Bearing in mind I didn't do the swap and just inherited it. I must say I hate the fact that the radiator hangs out the back.

P.S. Please excuse the building materials that the builders left surrounding the little beast!

Cheers,

Paul
Attachments
WP_20140621_14_21_19_Pro.jpg
WP_20140621_14_19_25_Pro.jpg
WP_20140621_14_19_37_Pro.jpg
WP_20140621_14_20_27_Pro.jpg
WP_20140621_14_20_53_Pro.jpg
WP_20140621_14_22_15_Pro.jpg
'64 Haflinger 703AP LWB
'67 Haflinger 703AP LWB
'66 Haflinger 700AP SWB (in pieces)
heinkeljb

Re: Subaru Engine transplant

Post by heinkeljb »

The radiator can be move to where ever you want is as all you will have to do is mount is and produce the plumbing to connect it up. So you could have it at the front or change the shape of the radiator and have it along the side. You could even have two or more radiators if you wanted small ones to hide somewhere.

Looks like a good conversion, do you know which Subaru the engine came from? What the engine size is or how many BHP it is supposed to produce?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
safari-haf

Re: Subaru Engine transplant

Post by safari-haf »

Hi John,

Yes it seems to be a very neatly done conversion. I'm afraid I don't know what Subaru it comes from but i understand it is a 1300cc! (2 Haffy engines glued together? ;-) ) Doesn't seem to have a huge amount of power, but could be because I haven't managed to find a mechanic that can tune the dual Weber 32 carbs properly! When I go down next I will try and get a serial number from the engine to maybe find out more about it. I'll also try and contact the son of the person who had the original conversion done to ask more.

On the subject of the radiators, you've got some good ideas there. As part of the deal I also got another radiator which is very short height-wise, but the width of the car, so i might try and think of a protected place which gets decent airflow to install that, or possibly use your idea of a number of smaller rads. The goal is to enter an event (probably one of the toughest off-road events in the world) called the Rhino Charge, with the Sub-Haf! http://www.rhinocharge.co.ke/

Cheers,

Paul
'64 Haflinger 703AP LWB
'67 Haflinger 703AP LWB
'66 Haflinger 700AP SWB (in pieces)