lengthening the windshield

audiocontr

lengthening the windshield

Post by audiocontr »

Like the Pinz, the top of the windshield is almost eye level with my height. I drive around with the windshield down most of the time, and raising it is incredibly annoying when i duck to see whats ahead of me. I have worn stock seats by the way

I know many have extended the height and added new glass. Has anyone made a 4" or greater extension to go between the body and the stock windshield? Seems like it would be easy to build, and easier to return to stock if i ever desired. It may even make for a nice vent. :)
walderse

Re: lengthening the windshield

Post by walderse »

That is a great idea! I know Constantin Kiesling also deals with the top of his windshield frame impairing his vision.
Would you mount the extension rigidly to either to nosepiece or the windshield frame or add a second set of hinges and clamps? A nice choice for vents could be those of the VW T2 Bay window fresh air vents. if memory serves me correctly, the are about 3" tall and about 14" wide.
Please keep us informed as the project moves forward.
Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
audiocontr

Post by audiocontr »

Thank you for the vent suggestion. As the hinge is very simple to replicate, I'd probably add an additional redundant set of clasps. I'm not quite sure yet, and expect that decision to be made MacGyver style while making a panel.

It will be months before I get to it. I'm most concerned about painting the mod. It will stand out compared to the patina elsewhere :D
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Maybe do something like the Land Rover Defender, with a pair of flaps below the glass? Would need some thought re: whether the hinges go above or below the flap panel.

Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Don't forget if you increase the height of the windscreen frame that you really ought to increase the height of the "roll bar" behind the front seats or else the roof is going to slope rearward (not such a bad thing on it's own). Depending on how you install your extension and whether or not you increase the height of the of the "roll bar", you will have to alter the length of the two side tubes as the top of the windscreen is going to be closer to the back unless your extension goes vertical from the original start point.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

Gregs windshield mod (not sure he is on this forum)
Dan

--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

Neat and tidily done.
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
audiocontr

Post by audiocontr »

Thats exactly what i want! Well done. How were the hinges created?
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder - not my cup of tea but if you like that then go for it. What is with the suicide doors - I don't like that at all for safety reasons.

The issue of a low windscreen top seems to be common with a few vehicles - same issue with my 101 and most Landrovers I have owned.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

audiocontr wrote:Thats exactly what i want! Well done. How were the hinges created?
I think Andre did the raise windshield when he lived in Cali
If not, check with Jim as he knows all about it and the truck
If that fails PM me and I can send you Greg's contact info
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
audiocontr

Post by audiocontr »

Jim and i were just chatting about this. I'll get there eventually =)