A little bit of bling.

AustHaflinger

A little bit of bling.

Post by AustHaflinger »

As we all know Haflinger lights are not the greatest and in an attempt to get around this, the previous owner modified my lights to 55/60w halogens. However it was a bodgy job as he used the standard Haflinger lights and made an adaptor to fit the Halogen H4 bulbs. The result is plenty of light but on low beam it lights about 6 feet in front and on high beam the beam points up with little in front. Adjusting the lights down will mean making low beam worse and if I adjust them up I will be able to spot aircraft.

I can live with low beam as it is so I fitted these to get over high beam - I can make one a spotlight and the other a spread beam to spot the Roos on the side of the road. Not connected yet.
MVIMG_20200716_162810.jpg
As there decent distances between towns and cities here, I often have to drive on what the UK would consider "M" highways with 110kph speed limits - so the addition of a removable flashing safety light at the back and the "speed limited" sign to help following drivers understand that they are following a slow vehicle.
MVIMG_20200716_163223.jpg
Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Re: A little bit of bling.

Post by Julian B »

I can only dream of reaching 80kph :D
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Gary,
Have you looked at the latest LED headlights for motorcycles? There appear to be some which would fit in the Haflinger headlight holes and should provide plenty of light. Don't know what sort of power consumption they have, but might be possible to find ones with low enough power requirements to work on a Haf.
The other thing is that you could probably find the correct socket fitment for the Haflinger reflectors in a quartz halogen bulb, that way it should just be a direct replacement fitting for the standard Haflinger candles, er... I mean bulbs!

The problem I see with having four lights on is the current draw down the wires. The Battery might be able to cope. The Dynastart will attempt to provide the required current, but will get hotter trying to do it. As it gets hotter, it's power out capabilities will reduce. So I am not a great fan of overloading the Dynastart - I put low power LED's in all the places I can on Lurch - not the charge light on the dash as that would glow even when the Dynastart is providing power as it works by there being a voltage imbalance between output of the Dynastart and the battery. There will always be a slight imbalance between the two voltages and an normal incandescent bulb requires quite a lot of current to glow a dim red even.

They look nice - Lets hope you don't have to use them very often. I like the flashing tail light - really ought to fit one to Lurch!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Came across this post which makes interesting reading if you are in the market for some LED fog lights:-

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the ... ew.554813/

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:Gary,
Have you looked at the latest LED headlights for motorcycles?
I have some H4 semi-sealed beam reflectors and a 33w HID system to go in later, just been putting it off as I know what a pain it is to dismantle the standard lights from the body. I have had these HIDs for a while and if buying now I would go LED.

With the HIDs in and these LED spot lights on, power draw will be about the same as just my current Halogens draw on high beam and the dynastarter can handle them OK.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)