Using VW 40hp pistons and cylinders

Goatwerks

Using VW 40hp pistons and cylinders

Post by Goatwerks »

Been a while since last post.
Currently repairing a modded motor that broke a crankshaft. Engine had poorly modded 83mm VW pistons and cylinders.
They cut the skirts off and failed to trim cylinders to 100mm. As usual, I got everything in a box😱.
Since everything was garbage, started with a new set of type 1 VW 40hp pistons and cylinders.
Anyone have experience with this modification that can throw any tips? Only found 1 article on the samba forum.
It put me in the right direction on the parts.
So far I have machined the taper on piston tops.
Block has been line bored and new main bearings have been made. Putting bottom end together today.
Mostly curious of best dimensions for skirt mods.
Previous pistons had skirts removed and pistons galled/scored the cylinders.
My suspicions are death by wobble.
Sorry for the long post, maybe someone here can answer my questions.

I will add pictures later.
heinkeljb

Re: Using VW 40hp pistons and cylinders

Post by heinkeljb »

Robert Porkschi is likely to have some information on Big bore kits.

He has done a whole lot of videos on various Puch / Haflinger engine parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chBCpTi7NwY

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Jim - when I bought my Haflinger 10 years ago it had the 86mm mod done to it - the engine certainly ran well. I am not sure whether my 86mm experience will relate to you 83mm.

However the engine failed a couple of years into my ownership with the skirts on number one cylinder breaking off and the entire piston cracking.
P3160320.JPG
Cause was not obvious and engine was rebuilt with new VW pistons and barrels (Mahle) using the old parts as the pattern. Things I noted - hole in the crankcase where the barrels fit in was enlarged and the shirts on the barrels reduced in length to clear conrods and the diameter on the skirts reduced slightly - so slightly thinner skirts and the hole in the crankcase slightly enlarged - a bit of mod to both to save taking too much metal off either one.

The issue is the pistons, as the standard VW pistons are too tall and the original builder used a step design with valve slots to fit the cylinder head with max reasonable compression.
P3180323.JPG
So the engine was rebuilt and ran good but was a bit glackity. Anyway - the engine failed again about 6 months later with the piston metal between the rings cracking. This time we looked at everything more closely and noticed some "erosion" marks around the outside of the piston tops - came to the conclusion that the piston was hitting the cylinder head at the top of each stroke. Discovered the design flaw of this mod.

The barrel liner sits in a small ring in the head so the head and cylinder seal when heated up (no head gasket). The original designers had machined the pistons to match the top of the liner not realising it sits into into a little shallow slot in the head and what was happening was the piston was hitting the inner lip of this slot and over time causing damage to the piston and metal fatigue.

Now the new pistons were machined so the edges were a couple of thou lower than the originals. This has worked a treat and while a little less powerful due to slightly less compression, for the last 8 years it has been a totally reliable engine.

When tuned and with high speed gears and 14" wheels it will get close to 90kph on a good day but does burn a bit more fuel.

Some pics of the piston I have in now.
PXL_20220418_030751579.MP.jpg
PXL_20220418_030759533.jpg
PXL_20220418_031150285.jpg
PXL_20220418_030812606.jpg
PXL_20220418_030817849.jpg
PXL_20220418_031033152.jpg
PXL_20220418_031108121.jpg
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Thank you for the pictures and info.
Now I see the skirt mod clearly.
Already machined the tops(having a lathe is a +)
Time to get back to work !
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Engine build turned out successful.
Wouldn’t recommend this configuration.
You have to make a fixture to properly cut base and skirts of cylinders as the VW ones are longer(around 2.5mm) than 100mm stock ones.
Hand filed the skirts for rod clearance.
Each piston was 352.2 grams. 20 grams heavier than the stock 80mm pistons.
I’ll post up some pictures soon.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Given all the work to do to put in the VW gear, is it really worth the effort to only go to the 83mm bore size rather a bit bigger which takes the same amount of work.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

My reply is a solid no. While performance is good, going larger weakens the case, stresses the rods and this mod puts a heavy load on the Dynastarter while cranking over.
All said, a rare Bug eye Haflinger is now ready for adventure again after years of sleep.