Upgraded Lighting

AustHaflinger

Re: Upgraded Lighting

Post by AustHaflinger »

I agree with everything you have said. Different places have different rules. Here in Aust HIDS will not be legal in any Haflinger, indeed any vehicle not fitted as standard when built. For starters the lights have to have to be self levelling (or the vehicle be self levelling), there must be headlight washers and the killer is the light housing has to be Australian Design Rule compliant for that vehicle and for HIDs.

However there are many things about our Haffie that stretch the rules so personally I have no issues in stretching these as long as the vehicle is safe.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
StuartR

Re: Upgraded Lighting

Post by StuartR »

All head lights are homologated as per the E mark on the lens, if not then illegal in the UK. Bulbs should also be E marked as well.

It is not OK to put H4 bulbs into the tungsten lamps. The filaments are incorrectly aligned for the photo-metrics on the lens and cause dangerous dazzle for oncoming road-users, also the scatter in foggy or misty conditions can create a white out effect. If the lamp is aligned to avoid this they are often then less effective than the original tungsten lamp. Like wise inserting the H4 bulb holder into a tungsten type lamp is a No No as well.

The options for the Haflinger are somewhat limited, however the 130MM - 5&3/4" units in H4 are one option, although slightly smaller than the OE unit, a mounting frame will be required, make or buy. It may be possible to squeeze in a 162 mm Unit, I'll get around to looking at this at a later date. These options are E marked and kosher H4 items so are road legal.

The down size is the 60/55w bulbs are juicy for the somewhat unremarkable charging system. Maybe the governor could be replaced with a small Alternator through a split charge diode pack to supplement the dynamo element of the Dynastart?
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton