Rear seats are just resting in place
Rear seats are just resting in place
view11.jpg (291.13 KiB) Viewed 2664 times
John
Attachments
703 LWB 1973 Series II
703 LWB 1973 Series II
Haflinger xgs311l.jpg (225.44 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Markus
Site Admin

Re: 1973 LWB 703

Post by Markus »

looks good. doing any work to it?

Markus
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Currently have the front hubs in pieces as the swivel pins had movement which the UK MOT tester deemed to much. On the way home it decide to start throwing oil all over the inside of the drivers side tyre. Top oil seal obviously leaking.

So as you have to take the hubs off in order to deal with those two problems, it has turned into a complete hub rebuild on both sides. 40 years on with god knows how many years of neglect, all the seals seem very hard and the surfaces they are supposed to seal on are all worn.

Previous owners managed to ram an Oak tree with the drivers side front wing. Bent lots of bits and did a rather pitiful repair behind the grey primer. So once it is road worthy again, that have to be dealt with.

Question is which order to do things in: Obviously, getting it road worthy is first.

Then in no particular order,

front drivers side wing.
rear seats - only have the frames.
missing tool box in front of spare tyre.
currently has a home made battery box.
No rear frames or cover.
missing sides rails.
Deal with the rust. (mostly surface - had to repair the drivers side rear panel next the engine as there were rust hole all the way through)
rear quater of bed before repair.jpg
rear quater of bed before repair.jpg (106.78 KiB) Viewed 3037 times
After quick repair (needed for MOT)
rear quater of bed after repair.jpg
rear quater of bed after repair.jpg (67.56 KiB) Viewed 3037 times
I'll put some more pictures of other issues / repairs later.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Markus
Site Admin

Post by Markus »

Yeah the rust in the back looks typical of European salted roads.
Are the rear foot wells intact?

There is a wear ring on the wheel flanges that can be replaced. so that should be a quick fix for your oil leak.
speedi-sleeves aren't suitable for this particular application but worth knowing. http://www.skf.com/files/877995.pdf

M
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Rear Footwells have been replaced rather badly but as they are currently not going to be used as I have to deal with the rear seats first, I am not too bothered by the bad repairs. I will probably cut them out of the bed and do a better repair before welding them back in again.

The other place I had to do small repair to was the passenger footwell, as it has a few small rust holes. Could probably have left them, but they just get bigger so whilst the welder was out they were done.

The argument with the oak tree also split part of the fribreglass roof, the lip where the door handle fits, so I also have a fibreglassing job to do at some point. The roof is an optional extra which was available from the main sealer in the UK and was actually produced by Steyr-Puch in the same shape as the canvas roof.

John