Cleaning nuts and bolts on mass

Bigdougal

Cleaning nuts and bolts on mass

Post by Bigdougal »

I am about to start cleaning the plethora nuts and bolts that I have collected as I have taken the Haf apart. I have been thinking of a way of doing it in bulk and have come up with an idea. However, I am sure there are reasons why it will not work and hopefully this forum will produce some.

I have been thinking of putting them all in my cement mixer, firstly with a degreaser, then, after and hour I thought I would replace the degreaser with some sand and repeat for a period of time.

Can anyone foresee any problems?

Cheers

Doug
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
heinkeljb

Re: Cleaning nuts and bolts on mass

Post by heinkeljb »

Other than the mess! Actually, you will still have to clean all the sand out of the nuts and other items with holes and if you don't do it completely you will end up putting sand into your new build Hafi!

I think I have a better way for you to clean them up. Try this on a small scale first but it will scale to bigger items just as well.

Buy some citric acid power - it is used for cooking so you can probably buy it in bulk. Make up a solution of citric acid powder and water in a plastic container. Throw some nuts and bolts in there and leave them to soak. Keep checking on them and rinse with clean water when you think they are clean enough... Removes grease, loosens crud (with the help of a brush), rust.

DO NOT PUT ALUMINIUM PARTS in the mixture unless you keep a VERY CLOSE EYE on them. They will dissolve if you leave them in citric acid!

I used this technique to remove all the rust from one of the tool boxes which fits above the spare wheel. Used a rubbish bin to fill with warm / hot water, added the citric acid powder slowly (about 500 grams) - works quick when warm / hot, but still works cold. You just have to leave it longer.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

If you have time - put in degreaser to get rid of grease and oil - then mix 1 part Molasses to 10 parts water and immerse the nuts and bolts - may take a couple of weeks with a stir every now and then.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Thanks for the replies,

I had tried citric acid first (I have gallons and gallons of it as I have a small winery) it works ok on rust but didn't remove any paint. Perhaps the mixture was too weak.

Also, if the nuts are dry when they go into the sand all that should be needed is a clean with a soft brush

Wasn't the molasses/water mix (but ratios reversed) Mal Meninga's favourite drink?
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

John,

What mix did you use with your citric acid? Interested to know as I used it with success for cleaning the inside of the fuel tank and I used to use citric acid based paint strippers with a great deal of success when I lived in Australia. It just didn't seem to lift the paint on the bolts.

We use it in a mild solution for rinsing down the tanks after the wine fermentation as a neutraliser on a more aggressive cleaner that gets used first.

Doug
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

I just put all the boys into one of those 1 gal parts cleaner cans. Let it sit for a day, remove, brush, repeat as needed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DSMEL2 ... ot_redir=1
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I am not sure of the final mix ratio as I started with a 500 gram packet o citric acid powder and added it to a black rubbish bin full of water - I think it has a volume of about 40 / 50 litres. The water came from the house hot water system and would probably have been about 40 degrees. Having put the tool box in, it bubbled for awhile and then slowed down, presumably because the water temperature dropped. At this point I added more citric acid powder. I think it must of been another 500 gram pack as that was the easiest size I could get hold of at the time.
It removed all the rust and with the help of a brush, removed the oil/grease mixture that was all over the place. I think the paint it removed was probably already flaky and might have come off in any case with out my help!

I don't really see a big problem with you idea except as I say, making sure you get rid of all the sand afterwards as it could do a lot of damage if not removed.

Parts washers are good, but like all these ideas, they still need a fair amount of "elbow grease" thrown at the job!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

I soak in Purple power degreaser, rinse and then polish them in a vibratory tumbler typically used for brass cartrages. The media I use is red corn cob. works great for me
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Many thanks for the information.

Mike, Chem Dip sounds great but unfortunately I think I am correct in saying that it isn't available in Europe and with the current regulations it would be impossible for an individual to get it into France.

Cheers

Doug
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

Doug,

As you are in the lovely Lot et Garonne how about a trip to the local Intermarche/Le Clerc for some Acetone, Cellulose thinners and/or Essence F?

Put them in a sealed container in the boot of the car and as you drive around they will self clean.

They should do the job, If not there's always sulphuric acid on the shelf as well!

Don't the French have a sensible attitude towards these chemicals, on the supermarket shelf, no poisons register to sign!!!

Looking at a nice bottle of Mercues and thinking of Quercy and a nice Cabecou.
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Greetings from Sauveterre La Lemance,

Chateau Mercues is only 30 kms east from here, towards Cahors and I must admit to a liking for it.

The attitude is certainly lax and I can buy all of those things you say but I am always amazed how some market orientated American manages to create a great product in a neat package and simplify the whole process.

Having said that loading everything into the back of the Defender and driving around the Vineyard for an hour or so could work well.

Give my regards to Franklin Gdns
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

Big match tomorrow night against the noisy neighbours.

Spent the last 25 summers near Figeac where my parents have a small house up in the hills, so know the wines and food in that part of France intimately!

I used to work in Lyon, Paris and Blois so have spent some time in France over the past few years.
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

i have a good friend in Larnagol, can't be more than 8kms from Figeac.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

We are in a little hamlet near Linac on the Latronquiere road between Figeac and Bagnac-sur-Célé.

On the edge of Quercy and Cantal border, a lovely part of France, with lots of 'green lanes' around. If I finish the Haffy before they sell up I'll take it over.
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
Tennmogger

Post by Tennmogger »

Do you have Walmart over there? I use their Super Clean concrete cleaner. It is a great degreaser plus it seems to have a little acid in it to help clean the concrete. I even use it for paint prep, Diluted. This stuff took the paint off my Craftsman tool box when I tried it full strength!

Putting the container of nuts and bolts with cleaner in a vehicle for a while is a great idea. I may strap a container on my mower tomorrow as I make the rounds! That will really shake it up. Maybe a I can Find a convenient place to get a little engine heat too.

Bob
1952 Willys M-38, Unimogs from 1957, 1965, 1970, 1975, 1978, 1988, and a 1968 Haflinger NA bugeye!
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

No Walmart I am afraid. McDonalds is about the extent of American Commercial activity in France I believe, beyond the odd Ford dealer.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Failing all these brilliant ideas - you cold always just use elbow grease! :lol: :lol:

John

Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Thanks for all the advice.

This is what I have found works.

First into a bath of degreaser
secondly a bath of acid.
Thirdly into a mix of water/Bicarb soda (stops acid action)

Now none of the above takes off multi layers of paint but a cement mixer with bits of old sandstone paving slabs does.

It all may sound a bit long winded but if you get a small production line going it is not too bad.

Failing all of the above some kind soul may have done an analysis of what is required by bolt size and type to replace all of the fastenings with new ones. Just needs someone to input a parts manual into an excel spreadsheet and do a sort. Any takers?

Cheers

Doug
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

I have a simple time tested(old school) cleaning method (Use ventilation and care as solution is combustible!). In a Metal or plastic container Mix 1 part ATF(auto transmission fluid), 4 parts diesel fuel.
This mixture also works better than WD-40 for freeing rusted components.
Just use enough to cover the parts and leave overnight, then drip dry or use compressed air outdoors.

Dispose of any waste properly , recycle.
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Does it take paint off?
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700