Canvas Covers, Hoops Etc

heinkeljb

Canvas Covers, Hoops Etc

Post by heinkeljb »

It appears to be issue which nobody has addressed with any real outcome.

We need a set of drawings / dimensions for atleast one of the variations of canvas covers and associated hoops.

Preferably, from my point of view, details that would allow you to make a set of hoops and a canvas cover to fit a Long Wheel Base Haflinger. Now the straight back is probably the easiest, but beggars can't be choosers and if the only details forthcoming are for a slant back then so be it.

Yes, I know it is possible to go out and take your own measurements and then purchase suitable tubing, bend it and weld bits here and there to make a canvas cover hoop system. Then get some suitable canvas and go through the rigmarole of cutting and sewing etc.

I just thought it would be nice if there was the equivalent of a PDF drawing detailing all the required bits and pieces as it would make life simpler for those who have to farm out such things to others to fabricate for them.

Anybody got suitable items to take measurements from?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Re: Canvas Covers, Hoops Etc

Post by Julian B »

Hi John,

I have in the barn ...
  • a full set of S2 LWB hoops (currently unused)
    a S1 "roll bar" (at the rear of the front seats) (currently fitted to my S1)
    a S2 "roll bar" (at the rear of the front seats) (currently fitted to my S2)
    a LWB rear canvas that is designed to attach behind a standard polycab (currently not being used)
    a SWB short cab canvas that is designed to fit over an S1 roll bar (which is significantly less robust than the later type). This was used as a template for my new canvas, so is unstitched but intact.
I also have a S2 LWB long canvas, but that is currently an hour away at my brother's house.

You would be welcome to borrow all or any of the above - or perhaps pop up sometime and we can measure things together? I'd certainly like to have a long full canvas made for my S2 LWB, and agree that a set of accurate measurements would be a great help for many.

FWIW, when having my new short canvas made I was able to buy the rivets and the hoops for the securing tabs, but had to fabricate the metal plates that are stitched in to the leading edge of the canvas, and also the securing tabs which I had made in saddle leather.

One thing to bear in mind is that there will be a large number of variants - LWB, SWB, short cabs, long cabs, polycabs, different main roll bars, slant back, rear side doors, long or short rear side boards, different rear windows in short canvases (vis. PTO control access or not) etc etc. But the project ought to be achievable ...
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Julian,

Sounds like a plan. Need to get a white sheet or something we can put on the floor under your four post hoist, get that up in the air and take photos of things on the sheet. Then measure the various parts, bends etc That way you get a photo people can understand which can be edited to have the measurements included.

I did think about all the different variations, but unless there are people with those variations who are willing to take measurements and put them up on the web for others to see. People are going to end up making their own variations and eventually no one will know what's original and what's not!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Great idea about getting some measurements. We could then supply these to a hood stick manufacturer who could quote.

in the meantime I have a LWB full tilt ( full back) in B+ condition that I am going to get shortened by 300mm. Before i do does anyone have a full SWB tilt that they would want to swap?
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
Markus
Site Admin

Post by Markus »

Hi,

I think this is a super project which has the potential to help many people.

There are variants to the design including shape, material, colour and how they are secured.
Potentially there are people that could add their input on the haflinger variants that they have. I know RickK has among other things researched parts of the Australian army canvas inc. buckles, canvas webbing and other to reproduce in my opinion a stunning replica.

It would be exciting to see these community led preservation projects take off.
I know we have probably all done our own research and found/produced solutions to specific problems. The problem is we oft don't have the time and resources to share this information with others that may also benefit.

Thehaflinger.com was created for just this sort of stuff and if I may be so bold I would like to offer my help in setting up a sub forum where different topics could be used to manage the research and documentation of these types of projects. If this is wanted please let me know asap and Ill setup a sub forum

So please if you are working on a 'same for same' solution to a problem that others may have shout out and ask for help, You may just find someone that is willing to support with associated work in sharing the findings.