help for restoration of an italian Haflinger !!

smarco60

help for restoration of an italian Haflinger !!

Post by smarco60 »

hello, my name is Matteo and i live in the north of Italy, i recently bought swb 1964 haflinger in very very bad conditions
the old owner try to restore it so he take out any parts from body he sandblast the body and stop everything
the hafli is like that from 10 years and i bought it for a few money !
the body is completely rusted with so many holes...it's impossible to fix it and i will look for a new or good used body
the engine is missing because the old owner put a vw engine so i will try to find a new good engine , but after putting togheter the body and other things!
as for now i'd like to start buying some books that help me to restore the hafly ....in particular i'm looking for a manual to see all the parts because i have the hafly complete disassembled and i need to see from a book where the parts i have are originally mounted ...do you have any idea where to find this manuals on the web ....thanks and sorry for my bad english...hope you can understand
HerrFlinger

Re: help for restoration of an italian Haflinger !!

Post by HerrFlinger »

Good morning Matteo -

I am in the UK & may have what you need including an early 700 platform (with no side access panels for the engine) in solid restorable condition.
Please send me a PM if you would like to contact me.

Thanks
Paul
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

What you are looking for is available here:-

http://www.goatwerks.com/haflingertechstuff.html

You can also buy a new platform, but it will cost a lot of money and even more with the transport from Austria. There are various suppliers of new parts and probably several people who have secondhand parts for sale like the platform you have been offered in the previous post.

Do not worry about the English, it is a lot better than my Italian!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Matteo and welcome to the forum.

It sounds as if you have a major project on your hands.

There are many documents that may be of assistance in the Documents section of this forum viewforum.php?f=21

Good luck and dont be afraid to ask for help when needed - we are a great bunch of people.

Put your town and country in your profile (under User Control Panel - top right corner of the home page) as it helps people understand where you are and importantly people who are nearby may be able to help.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
smarco60

Post by smarco60 »

first of all thanks for all the informations to everibody , as for manuals i will give a look in the forum and in the other website ( thanks heinkeljb)
as for my hafli i bought it because the price was really interesting but i now that restoere it is a long long job , but i have plenty of time so for now the problem is to find a good body and to find a good engine , if i find these two spares for reasonable price i will start too restore the Haflinger !

Another small question is about documents , the old owner don't have plates and documents for this hafli , but i think is not a problem .....somewhere i read that if i give my chassis number to Steyr puch they can give me a document to make new plates and documents for my hafly....another solution could be buy an old frame with documents and then put new italian plates on my hafli...do you think the best solution could be the first or the second?
thanks
MAtteo
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Contacting Magna Steyr will give you a document detailing the Haflingers original specification when it was built. So you would have written on an official document:
The chassis number,
The model number,
The date is was built,
What specification it had when it was delivered from the factory, e.g. type of tyres. Long hood, short hood etc.

If this is enough for the Italian Authorities to issue you with plates etc, great!

But,

If you need more than that, then getting another Haflinger with plates will be the better solution, but it will probably mean that you use this Haflinger as a "Spare parts" Haflinger.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Hi Matteo,
Welcome to the forum . If you are feeling very wealthy you could contact Paul Kretz at www.puch-haflinger.at , he manufactures new body panels.
The flat bed is 7350.00 euro.

Dave
smarco60

Post by smarco60 »

thanks Dave but there are really a lot of money...and maybe i will look for a good used body to spare money
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

While you might get lucky and find a body by itself I think it is more likely that you will have to buy a stripped down car - however you are just over the alps from genuine Haflinger country so you may get lucky.

Good luck with the search.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
smarco60

Post by smarco60 »

Hi Garry,
when i bought this haflinger i knew that restore it could be very hard and expensive , so i decided to to this way:
- find a good used platform
- if i find the platform i will look for a good engine
after this i can start to restore the hafli and at the end of the restoring job i will take care about documents !
now i will give a look around to find a platform , i already wrote a PM to Herrflinger for the platform he wanted to sell and i will wait his reply
i will let you know the news of this project :D
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Hi Matteo - how badly rusted is that body? I've seen some incredible restorations done to badly rusted out sheet metal, it might well be less expensive and work just as well to do some fabrication work.

With a new platform, the truck will not be original anyway.

IAC, good luck with the project, I'm interested to see how it progresses. I'd also like to see some pictures of that rusty project!
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
smarco60

Post by smarco60 »

the body is absolutely rusted with holes everywhere , trust me is not possible to fix it , but thaks for your kind words :D
as for pictures i will do some picture after winter season because now i'm really busy with my job and haflinger is in a house 200 km far from my home
a big ciao
Matteo
smarco60

Post by smarco60 »

some pictures of my hafli disassembled .... i have one question...i thought the early haflingers had 4 gears+k in mine i have only 4 gears ... i have no documents but the previus owner told me the year of haflinger was 1964 maybe it was older?
Attachments
IMG_0306.JPG
IMG_0305.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG
IMG_0307.JPG
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

smarco60 wrote:some pictures of my hafli disassembled .... i have one question...i thought the early haflingers had 4 gears+k in mine i have only 4 gears ... i have no documents but the previus owner told me the year of haflinger was 1964 maybe it was older?
The early Haflingers only had 4 gears (up to 1961?); later ones had 5 gears, described initially as 4+k ("k" = krawler), but later as 5 (ie 1-5).

Do you have any of the data plate numbers? If you have the data plate (located by the driver's front seat) it will tell you chassis number & (original) engine number. On the side of the gearbox it also gives you a number. On the rear vertical surface of the engine (between the dip stick tube and the lower pulley) it also shows the engine number. If you let us know what you find it would help to date your Haflinger.

The fuel filler flap on the load area suggests that it is pre 1966, but I can't tell the exact year.

Does the engine have a Webber carburettor or a Zenith carb?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Matteo - the platform looks a little better than you described earlier but I agree it is a bit hard to see the detail in your pics. Might be better getting to work on that platform rather than getting another particularly when any one you find will no doubt also require a fair bit of work..

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I think you have what is called a "Bitsa" !

A bit of this and a bit of that!

The hoop looks like a later version one, The platform is a early one as the fuel tank / filler is in the platform bed and not under the seat as on later ones.
Find the frame number - see arrow in picture for location.
Mateo platform.JPG
Post the number.

John

smarco60

Post by smarco60 »

hi guys,
i post the original plate with the numbers , i checked the numbers on the platform and on the chassis and they are the same on the plate !
as for platform i decided to buy one from a guy here in the forum, mine is really in bad condition trust me ....i will buy a platform and an original engine ...all i need to start to restore my Hafli!
as for the 4 speed gear i'm sure is the original one also on the dashboard i have a plate with only the 4 speed ...maybe is not from 1964 .....could be an older version?
i'm thinking about asking the original document from Steyr puch in Graz so i will be sure about the date of manufacturing ...how i can get this document?
thanks another time and sorry for so many questions ....happy new year to everybody also if i'm little late!
Attachments
wefqwf.jpg
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hello,

I think the front hoop/roll bar is correct for a 1964 Haflinger. Also, in the early 60s, not all Haflingers already had the 4+K gearbox, i.e. it can well be that this vehicle had a 4 speed box. Gearbox, shifter knob and dashboard plate also seem to fit together. Dashboard looks original to me, but I am not sure about the orange light close to the speedo and the fuel gauge certainly looks retrofitted.

Platform seems to have some of the usual corrosion problems, but there exist far worse platforms. It will be hard to find a platform that corresponds exactly to the type you have, so it may be worth considering a repair of the existing platform to keep up originality. In general, I can recommend to restore to an original standard as far as possible as this will keep the Haflinger's value up on the long term.

Kind regards,
C.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Cut out the rusted area and weld in new metal. You can buy panel sections for most parts of the platform, so you could look at the sections which you think are so bad and see if you can get a repair section that covers that area. Then you know how much you have to cut out and weld in replacement.
If you can not do the welding yourself, then see what it will cost you to get some one else to weld the bit in for you. It is still likely to be cheaper than buying another complete platform. Any platform you buy, unless it is new is likely to have some bad patches on it that will need welding.
No one is saying "you must" repair the platform you have, just that it is not likely that you will find another platform by itself that is in any better condition than the one you have.
It is after all, your Haflinger and no one else's! You can do what you want, need to do, to make a working Haflinger.

John

Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

For your build sheet you need to email S-Tec with your VIN
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT