Rear vision Mirror

Vampyr

Rear vision Mirror

Post by Vampyr »

Hi all, A question for those in Australia who have full registration. I have just made a canvas canopy and am looking at sewing in a clear rear flap. Whilst this of itself is not a problem, and I would make it so it could roll up. My question is. (a) I cannot find an area for a rear vision mirror to be fitted. (b) For those with NSW Registration are you required to have one. (c) Any recommendations, Photo's and fitting suggestions. Regards Danny
kerry460

Re: Rear vision Mirror

Post by kerry460 »

i had never looked at the mounting before , no reason to .

it is screwed to the top windscreen frame with what appears to be 8 guage self tappers ,
obviously Aussie content for compliance .

i would use nutserts / rivnuts

i am fairly sure that if you have external mirrors you do not need internal .

but having one will stop a cop or transport officer from having a reason to ask why not

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

What on earth do vans with panel rear doors or lorries do - rear view mirror inside would be useless!

UK allows for the use of two external mirrors so you don't need the interior one. I wonder if you need the mirror because it is classed as car?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

When I took my Haffie in for rego first time I was also concerned about not having an internal rear view mirror though it was clear there were not mounts for one.

The solution is all so simple - go to Supercheap and buy a mirror with a suction cap mount (I think it was less than $20). There are two sizes, large and small and I went for the small one. Works great and it has been on for over two years.

Here is a pic from inside

And form the outside

Mine did fall off a couple of times so I put a dob of silastic to the inside of the suction cap (can see this in the bottom pic) and stuck it on and it has never come off. No holes, nothing permanent and works.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Thanks , good answers. like your idea Gary. Danny
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

You could go for one of the new fangled rear view mirrors with DVR. 8-) :ugeek:

They even have a play back screen hidden in the mirror surface, that way you get a recording of all your journeys. Only problem I have with my cheap DVR is that it has a shock sensor in it that makes it keep the last recording and prevent it from being over written. It seems to be sensitive enough to activate if you hit a bump / pothole - so of no use when going off road! :lol:

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

I think I will go the line of making a metal extension bracket that fits onto the existing bolts/nuts of the windscreen wiper motor. It's already centred. I'll go up 4 to 6 cms and then slightly forward, nothing bulky and fit an older type English rear vision mirror like those fitted to dashs of the 2 seater sports cars of the day or an older vw one. Danny
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I think it will be too low to see through the rear window. Even my E-Type convertible has the rear vision mirror at the top of the screen.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I think all you will see is a tunnel view of the road behind and the shoulders of who ever is sitting in the seats. But try it at least, we may be proved wrong.

John

Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Things to consider, fortunately I have made my canopy, but have not put a clear window and flap in the back yet. perhaps a clamp over the middle loop in the windscreen frame, made at 90 degree's, padded and bolted together to form a mounting platform.
tpond

Post by tpond »

My North America spec truck has a rear view mirror from the factory. I will take a picture, and post up latter today...
1964 NA Spec. Haflinger
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

The Us and Canadian Bug Eye models had a mounting welded to the frame and used a 1970 Kharman Ghia rear view mirror without the lamp module.
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Thanks Jim, good to know, I'll see if I can find one. Danny
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Thanks Mike, great photo. I appreciate all the comments and knowledge shared by members. Regards Danny
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

So have you decide on whether to go for a mirror hanging down of a mirror sticking up? Will it matter if you put the windscreen down? Mirror stuck on the glass with a suction cup can always be taken off before it falls off! One that is fixed to the top of the windscreen becomes the first thing to get caught by a branch possibly.
One that is fixed to the dash might only look strange sticking up with no windscreen - but might only give you tunnel vision backwards.

Let us know which way you go along with pictures so we can see how you have done things.

John

pureredcordial

Post by pureredcordial »

One I just bought of ebay (from India). The arm is at the correct angle for a haflinger. Just drilled and screwed into the windscreen frame.

Imagemirror by pureredcordial, on Flickr
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Does it have an auto dim function? :lol:
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)