Making up new windscreen rubbers

Julian B

Making up new windscreen rubbers

Post by Julian B »

I have received a length of rubber profile for the windscreen recently. Has anyone ever made up a set of (sort of) rectangular rubbers before? If so, are there any Top Tips for getting it right? Did you cut the non right angle joins by hand, or use a template of some sort. And what adhesive should I use?

Does it matter how tight the rubber should be? The old ones are really quite loose (when removed).

TIA
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Markus
Site Admin

Re: Making up new windscreen rubbers

Post by Markus »

No clue but I doubt its easy.

I purchased mine and I think it was worth it.
heinkeljb

Re: Making up new windscreen rubbers

Post by heinkeljb »

I would use the old rubber ans a template to make a jig that will allow you cut the "non-right angle" joints the same every time. Then use something like tiger seal or possibly even "super glue" to join the bits together.
I think you have to err on the side of slightly to small for the glass and rely on the fact that when you stretch the rubber to go round the glass, it will expand and go tight round the frame as well.

Did your windscreen man explain how you use a piece of rope - the sort used in sash windows is ideal - to wrap round the rubber when you have put in on the glass, then slowly pull the rope out the front whilst pushing the glass into place?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!