engine / body seal

ogdenenterprise

engine / body seal

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I refitted the engine on to the gearbox yesterday. but the rear of the body still wants lowering on to the rolling chassis. Question ? which is the correct way to fit the engine bay rubber seal to the engine cowling ?.The last time I refitted the engine , the rubber seal was fitted to the body work then I lowered the body then proceeded to pries and pull the seal the rubber seal on to the engine cowling which was very tight and took some time to complete.

Dave
Julian B

Re: engine / body seal

Post by Julian B »

That is certainly how I have done it (on a couple of occasions). First off get the rubber to seat in to the channel on the body - on all three sides IIRC - and then ease the engine cowling onto it as you raise / push back the engine. Best to wipe washing up liquid / WD40 on to it to help it slide.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The question I have at this point, would be: does the rubber seal go on top of the engine tinware or underneath?
On Lurch, what is left of the rubber seal is resting on top which means the tinware was added afterwards, and just put up to the mounting points.

As far as the "purpose" of the rubber seal goes, it would not matter if it was above or below as long as it seals the gap. It is only there to stop the worst of the dust / rubbish from being "sucked" into the engine bay from underneath the vehicle. The rubbish can still get in from the top and back, so it is not as if it is providing a complete seal to the engine bay!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

IIRC the profile of the rubber is such that the wide flat bit (the majority) goes on top of the tinware, and the narrower "curved" bit of the profile goes underneath, curving around the lip of the tinware.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

It sounds like the seal profile is made with a "U" section that goes above and below the tinware on the engine. If you can't "slide" the tinware into the section, which unless you are putting the engine in from the back, I can't see happening easily. I think the only way would be the long winded go round afterwards levering the lower edge of the "U" below the tinware.

I think it would be a tiresome task as unless the wide flat section between the "U" and the round section which goes in to the bodywork grove is the right width, then it will bow and not seal properly.

Good luck, which ever way you decide to do it!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

With a bit of lube and a long thin screwdriver to help wrap the underside of the profile around the edge of the engine tinware, it really will only take a few minutes to do. Honest!
Julian B
W Sussex, UK