Haflingertreffen Nordamerika 2014

walderse

Haflingertreffen Nordamerika 2014

Post by walderse »

While Haflingertreffen Nordamerika has successfully brought many little trucks together, each year has been in a different location associated with something BIG. The first year saw a BIG lake (Shasta). The second year was in the realm of BIG trees (the Redwoods) and the third was…well…BIGFOOT’s neighborhood. The 2013 Leavenworth, Washington-based treffen transported us to the world of BIG lederhosen, BIG beer steins, BIG Alpine horns and BIG and beautiful mountainous views.

Get ready for 2014! June 19th-22nd 2014 to be exact. I have it on good authority that Zhentu the Magnificent of Blakastan (aka Jim Blake of Newport, Oregon) is inviting the Haflingertreffen Nordamerika crowd to the land of something BIG. Actually, the land adjacent to something REALLY BIG…as in Pacific Ocean BIG. That’s right! The central Oregon Coast and the nearby Siuslaw National Forest are within his realm and his has magnanimously chosen to share by opening the West Blakastani borders. The Oregon Coast Aquarium, OSU Hatfield Marine Science Center, the new NOAA facility, Rogue Brewery, a vibrant waterfront along Yaquina Bay and beautiful beaches both north and south of the majestic Yaquina Bay Bridge and so much more await one and all. There is also a huge chunk of the Siuslaw National Forest just southeast of Yaquina Bay. The 2013 MVUM for the Central Coast area can be found at: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 418180.pdf .

And how does one get there? Easy! Newport, Oregon is located at the junction of US Hwy 101 and Oregon Hwy 20. If you live in CA, OR or WA, you already know where your nearest stretch of US Hwy 101 is located. It is a beautiful drive both north and south (Just 211 miles from the CA border and 136 miles from the WA border on the Astoria Megler Bridge over the Columbia River). Access off the I-5 corridor is also quite good. Just 62 miles from the I-5/Hwy 34 junction east of Corvallis to the Hwy20/101 junction in Newport. Major flights come in and out of Eugene (EUG) which is located 84 miles from Newport. Portland Airport (PDX) is a bit further at 124 miles.

More details regarding campgrounds, lodging options, etc will be forthcoming. The critical issue at this time is to mark the dates in your calendar: June 19th-22nd 2014. Get ready for another memorable Haflingertreffen Nordamerika in 2014.

Take care...one and all.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://northwestmogfest.com
Westernair

Re: Haflingertreffen Nordamerika 2014

Post by Westernair »

Just put it on my calendar. We spent the week after NW Mogfest this year there and is a great location to have a great time.
Brandon314159

Post by Brandon314159 »

We added this to our calendar and may join in. This is Emily's birthday weekend and right before Portland Burning-Man SOAK 2014 so we'll see how it goes. Excited!
-Brandon

1971 NA 700AP "TANGO"
1965 404.1 Funkwagen "SalMog"
walderse

Post by walderse »

Hello to all,
After careful consideration and seeing the time slip rapidly away, the location for the Haflingertreffen Nordamerika 2014 is going to be shifted a bit inland as well as north this year. The Newport area is beautiful with plenty to see and do but the lodging situation is not very conducive to the needs of this group. We experienced the absolute luxury of what Der Ritterhof had to offer last year in Leavenworth. While the Oregon State parks can accommodate RVs and trailers, that places us in a situation of running up and back on the very busy Hwy 101. It was this very point that convinced me a change in venue was in order.

I had thought of perhaps a return to Leavenworth this year. Der Ritterhof is for our purposes, virtually completely booked at this late date. I fully expected to hear that but I thought it might be worth a try. Leavenworth, WA seems to be an ideal blend of the social and the scenic aspects of the treffen experience. We can all look forward to another Bavarian treffen in the future.

Here is the new plan.
Dates are the same: June 19th-22nd, 2014.
Base of operations: Waldersee Farm, Sheridan, Oregon
Hosts: the Waldersee Family and Zhentu the Magnificent as he visits the northeastern portion of his Blakastani realm

Thursday June 19th
Arrival, setting up camp, socialization, driving around the farm or around town
Evening meal details TBA

Friday June 20th
Up early with breakfast at Coyote Joe's in Willamina, Oregon
From there, driving northwest into the coast range/TSF with the goals to reach the Tillamook Air station museum and perhaps the creamery.
Lunch on the trails or someplace interesting along the way
Back to the farm via the forests
Evening meal TBA
More socializing

Saturday June 21st
Up early again with a drive to Amity by the back roads for breakfast at The Blue Goat.
Continuing the back road tour up to the Evergreen Air Museum
Local winery stops are not out of the question
Lunch either on the trails west of McMinnville or perhaps some other interesting place
Afternoon spent driving roads and trails along the Nestucca River
Return to the farm for more time well spent together.
Dinner on Saturday also TBA

Sunday June 22nd
Stay as long as you like
Leave whenever you choose

Now, for those who really want to stretch out their Haflinger fun even more, the weekend prior to the treffen is Sheridan Days. For more details, please go to:
http://www.sheridandays.com/index.htm
I know at least four of the Waldersee Farm-based Haflingers will be in this year's grand parade at 6pm on Saturday. When we have driven Haflingers in the parade in years past, the crowds have been very excited to see the little trucks. If you were so inclined, you could arrive the weekend of Sheridan Days and join in the town's annual fun including the parade, leave your Haflinger in the safety of the Waldersee Farm and return the following week for the 2014 Haflingertreffen Nordamerika event. You could also just stay the entire time during that interim week if you like.

There you have it. These are certainly relatively "last minute" changes of plans but I think they will prove to be a worthy alternative to what was originally scheduled. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Take care...one and all.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Sheridan, Oregon
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
[email protected]
Brandon314159

Post by Brandon314159 »

Sounds like a good time! We'll do our best to be there!
-Brandon

1971 NA 700AP "TANGO"
tpond

Post by tpond »

I have never posted here before, but I am in the (slow) process of importing a 69' Canadian spec Haflinger from Montreal. Currently, it is on a transcontinental train ride to Vancouver, B.C. The timing may work out perfectly to have it in time to bring it down to the farm for this event. Either way, I plan on being there to meet everyone. Thanks Jim for opening up your farm, and everything you do!
1964 NA Spec. Haflinger
Brandon314159

Post by Brandon314159 »

Jim,

Where are folks gathering for camping/etc?

We could bring out a little firewood and a above-ground fire pit if there is an interest in a campfire.

Thanks!
-Brandon

1971 NA 700AP "TANGO"
MTW

Post by MTW »

Mackenzie,Shayna and I will be there. Excited to see everyone and their Haflingers
MOTORSPORTS TIRE & WHEEL
roadkill

Post by roadkill »

Some idle musing and ramblings about the PNW treffen this year. It's not looking good for me to make it this year either. As the Haffy Treffens shift north, it becomes more difficult to attend. I was shooting to try and pull off the Newport trip as a late arrival, but that was a stretch too. Unfortunately the decision is mogfest or haffy treffen, and mogfest wins hands down when picking my vacation slot. The trip to the farm runs 400 miles from my location, which is as many of you know, northern northern California. If it is difficult for me, it really adds up for those Haffy owners south of me. Southern California folks would be looking at a literal 1000 mile trip, just one way. Don't get me wrong.. There are plenty of things to do up in the pacific northwest, and the hospitality is second to none, it is just a major undertaking. Perhaps there is just not enough fervor from the Haflinger owners to the south of me to warrant a middle ground meeting spot?
I hope that the treffen goes without a hitch, and truly wish i could be in attendance! -Bruce
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

8 days and counting. At least one of my Hffies will be there. if my dynastarter get finished for the other one we will be bringing two down.
I know I have it easy only 250 miles each way
Slantback60

Post by Slantback60 »

Elias and I will be there. Looks like it will be a hot one!
1960 Austrian Military Haflinger
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Westernair wrote:I know I have it easy only 250 miles each way
Even easier as they will be on a trailer! Drive them there on the back roads.... It would be far more fun. :lol:

Seriously, it sounds like a good "Treffen" to go to. Hopefully I take Lurch to a few more this year seeing as he didn't disgrace himself (too badly - one minor battery issue) on the 800 mile round trip we went on recently.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
walderse

Post by walderse »

Brandon,
Camping locations on the property are wide open. Emilie had done a phenomenal job of mowing around the orchard and the field in front of the house next to the fir lane is also availabletrimmed out some camping areas along the river and the perimeter of the large lower field. Caution must be take there as there are standing oats in both lower fields. I have The brush burn pile locations in the orchard and the front field can be used for warming fires but you are welcome to bring your own device. There is plenty of firewood already on site but you can haul along whatever you like from home. Two chem toilets have already been delivered and will stay through the summer awaiting the additional eleven to arrive just before Northwest MogFest in mid-August. One of the two toilets will more to the orchard and the other will stay in the barnyard.

Bruce,
We understand completely about the distances involved in traveling up from or down to northern California. You most certainly be missed during the upcoming Haflingertreffen but I am very happy to hear you will be making it up for our fifteen NWMF event. Please pass along our best to Janet and Dino.

Future hosts of Haflingertreffen Nordamerika events,
When we came up with this concept shortly after the 2009 Northwest MogFest event (our tenth), "simplicity" was center stage in contrast to the high level of organization involved in the annual NWMF events. All it takes to host such an HtNa event is to declare your intent to act as host, set the dates and location and invite people to join in the fun. The host simply functions as a resource for those coming from a distance as well as setting a basic agenda for the gathering. There is nothing to limit how many events can be held in one year, the time of year or the location...as long as it is somewhere on the North American continent. It is certainly feasible to have more than one Haflingertreffen Nordamerika held on the same dates but in different locations. I know of a Haflinger owner in far southern British Columbia who is interested in host an event along the Squamish River north of Vancouver sometime in the next couple of years.

It appears that the upcoming treffen will see at least a dozen Haflingers (perhaps more) gathering together. We may also be joined by a 1943 VW Typ166 Schwimmwagen.

Take care...one and all.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Brandon314159

Post by Brandon314159 »

An update from the folks already in attendance! Will be at least one more (us) showing up tonight!

Thanks to Jessica for the photo!
Attachments
14 - 2.jpg
-Brandon

1971 NA 700AP "TANGO"
walderse

Post by walderse »

Hello to all,
Toby Pond just posted this link to his photo set.
http://imgur.com/a/FqAv6
Emilie and I would like to express our appreciation to all who attended the 5th annual Haflingertreffen Nordamerika event. What a phenomenal group of people who happen to share an interest in some pretty remarkable little trucks. We would also like to express our appreciation to the following:

Coyote Joe's in Willamina for great breakfast two mornings in a row. https://www.facebook.com/CoyoteJoesRestaurant

Darryll Vittone of Techtonics Tuning in Sheridan for a tour of his rare 1943 VW Typ166 Schwimmwagen http://www.techtonicstuning.com/main/index.php

The Delphian School in Sheridan (http://www.delphian.org/) for both the drive to and from their beautiful campus and the opportunity for a stunning group photo outside their Larson Hall. In the background, one can see Waldersee Farm across the Yamhill river beyond the telephone pole treating plant.

Youngberg Hill Winery (http://www.youngberghill.com/) outside of McMinnville where we met Andreas Jauschneg (www.bt-watzke.com) who grew up just south of Graz, Austria.

The Brigittine Monks of Amity, Oregon (http://www.brigittine.org/) for their fantastic gourmet fudge selection.

Waldersee Farm is extremely fortunate to be situated so close to so many phenomenal neighbors so close to home.

Take care....one and all.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Sheridan, Oregon
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Hi Jim,

Looks like a fabulous event!

The "eyeballs" are superb - did you make them, or buy them in? I'd love to get some :D
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

Looks like all had a really good time.

The eye balls are more in keeping than those on the Dr. Who Haflinger

http://freespace.virgin.net/dr.dean/who ... /imc_01.jp
Attachments
Dr Who Haffy.jpg
Dr Who Haffy.jpg (12.76 KiB) Viewed 5870 times
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
walderse

Post by walderse »

Julian,
We have Joel Dotterer (1960 Austrian 700AP slant back) to thank for equiping all the trucks present with the "googly eyes" and I believe he sourced them from Archie McPhee in Seattle, Washington.
http://mcphee.com/shop/catalogsearch/re ... oogly+eyes
Having each truck sport a pair made the treffen just that much more interesting.
Hope this helps.
Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm