Trials at Sindon 17th June 2023

heinkeljb

Trials at Sindon 17th June 2023

Post by heinkeljb »

I took part in a pre 1984 trails against leaf sprung lamdrovers as there does not weem to be very many other pre 1984 offroad vehicles. Or atleast none in the south east that go to such things.
Anyway, there were 8 sections during the day. These are 10 gate sections, so starting at 10 and working your way towards 1. If you stop or reverse (exception being long wheel base landrovers, who can reverse once during the section to manage a turn) you get how ever many points there are gates left you didn't manage to get through.
One of the sections started at the bottom of a steep gravel slope, 10 gate was just up the slope, 9 gate was at the top. Set off and the Haf jumped out of 4 wheel drive just after the start - so ddin't even manage to get to the 9 gate before I was at a standstill with just hte rear wheels turning! So 9 points on that section!

I managed to clear all the other sections, so I ended up winnig with 9 points, second place had 13 points.

Turned in to a very good outing even though I was expecting to only come somewhere in the middle to lower end of the scale!

A piece of video of one of the sections:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPHCpBZMafM&authuser=0

Taken by one of the watching crowd as it is difficult to take video of yourself whilst you are driving.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Re: Trials at Sindon 17th June 2023

Post by AustHaflinger »

Given the very tight turning circle of the Haflinger and the barge like turning circle of a Land Rover you should have easily beaten them :lol:
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Turning circle has very little to do with Trials like this as the sections are laid out with the turning circles of short wheel base landrovers with four wheel drive engaged. A Haflinger can turn in the same curves more or less depending on whether diff locks are engaged or not. The real advantage is the Diff locks as a lot of the sections are set out to include axle twisters. With a Haflinger is is a question of how deep those are and how brave the driver is when one corner or another is up in the air!!
Axle twister up hill.jpg
John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Just drive like you don't own it and just stole it - lots of fun
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)