Cotswolds Treffen (UK)

Julian B

Cotswolds Treffen (UK)

Post by Julian B »

Just returned from a very enjoyable weekend in the picturesque Cotswolds. An impressive turn out - 9 Haflingers and 5 Pinzgauers & one Defender. Some good weather, great company and some enjoyable driving & pit stops. It was my first UK Treffen, and if this is what I have been missing I look forward to the next one!
IMG_8830 (1).jpeg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Re: Cotswolds Treffen (UK)

Post by heinkeljb »

Yes, was a good weekend away even if Lurch did have a couple of issues. Loss of power but still running. An exhaust leak. Still to do a compression test to try and figure what's gone wrong. A puncture, first one I have had on Lurch in, what, 9 years of ownership... Not a big problem I have a spare. Famous last words!
No Jack!
As luck would have it, we had pulled into the entrance to a small industrial area and the employees came out to see what the noise was (Lurch is quite noisy). Saw we had a puncture on the near side front tyre and offered help - when I realised, I had a spare but no jack, asked if they had a jack. Out came a trolly jack, so wheel change in no time. Then because it was the spare, tire pressure was obviously a bit low, so we asked to borrow their compressor as they had offered it. Quick blast of air and we were back on the road.
Journey getting there was about 170 miles as we did a lot of zig zagging to keep off the bigger A roads. Coming back was quicker as we stayed on the bigger A roads and cruised at a better average speed (much to the annoyance of other road users I presume - still we had people who stayed behind us at our 40 /43 mph for a long time when they had plenty of opportunity to go passed us on the dual carriage ways). Also, a fair bit shorter - 160 miles.

Poor old Lurch did something approaching 450 miles over the weekend whilst not running 100% correctly - but still running and never missed a beat!

And

We didn't get wet even though I somehow managed to only pack half a tent! No fly sheet! - Borrowed a small fly sheet plus the cover for the back of Lurch on the first night - no rain, second night we had managed to buy some black plastic sheeting, but not really big enough to cover the tent, but then managed to get a tarpaulin that was twice the size we actually needed, but it did mean we stayed dry whilst it rained during the evening and night!

Oh, and I forgot to pack some cups!

So, a real catalogue of errors, but we still had a great time!

Maybe you should come along to a Treffen?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!