Dutch treffen May 2018

heinkeljb

Dutch treffen May 2018

Post by heinkeljb »

The world of the Haflinger owner is fraught with difficulties. My Haflinger, Lurch has an MOT anniversary of the 1 st of April. This should give me enough time to fix anything that the MOT man does not like before the Dutch treffen.
This year when I started to think, I need to sort out the rear brakes for the MOT I thought I would wash all the mud and grime off and therefore be presented with nice clean parts to work on. One of the downsides of using a pressure washer is that it can create work! It managed to peel off a previous repair on the petrol tank which proceeded to dispense petrol from a pin hole in the bottom edge. Whilst I was washing it, not a problem or an inkling of a problem. Left Lurch to dry overnight.
Came out next morning to be presented with the smell of petrol and a wet tyre. Quick find a petrol container and a funnel. This is going to be difficult I thought, how do I store 7 odd gallons of petrol? Shouldn’t have worried as there was less than 1 gallon left in the tank! The rest had already poured out all over the drive during the night…
With the tank empty, I took it off and discovered there had been 2 repairs to that part of the tank previously. One was done by brazing and then another repair at a later date with Plastic padding. That was what the pressure washer had dislodged.
Previous owners brazed repair.jpg
Removed the tank and washed it out with water and left it outside to dry overnight and next day cut the damaged / repaired piece out. No explosions or flames of any kind even when using an angle grinder to do the cutting.
Using a block of fence post I chiselled out the relevant shape for the formed section of the repair panel I would have to make. Cut a suitably sized piece of new metal and with a hammer and various bits of metal, proceeded to form a repair panel into a reasonable facsimile of the original shape. Welded that in place. Again no explosions of even any real flames, except for the odd bit of interior sealant which caught fire. Easily put out.
New metal welded in before clean up.jpg

Whilst cleaning up the welds, I found a pin hole which required a blob of weld to sort.
Now all I had to do was weld on a piece of the second skin layer to replace the bit I had to cut off in order to weld my patch in. On cleaning up the area with a wire brush I discovered more pin holes! All of this is taking up time and getting closer to the Dutch treffen weekend. Will I have enough time to get this sorted and the rear brakes and get an MOT? Didn’t look like it, but on with the repairs as they have to be done no matter what. Now I have a long section on the tank to replace!
More holes that need fixing.jpg
Weld a section of new metal in there and apply anti rust / undercoat paint. Dutch treffen is getting closer, time is running out. I have evenings and weekends, but not every evening or every weekend…
Next stage in tank repair.jpg
Eventually I manage to get the second skin section welded on and painted. Tested by pouring some petrol into the tank and leaving it overnight on some paper. If it leaks then the paper would show it.
finished on the outside.jpg
More anti rust and undercoat painting and waiting for it to dry. Another test with some petrol in the tank overnight to check for leaks. None found! Now I can get on to do the next bit of time consuming work! Having welded in new metal, the old sealant on the inside had been burnt and there were pieces of it floating round in the petrol I drained following my leak testing. Lots of washing with water to clean all the loose stuff out.
cleaning out the inside.jpg
Looked in to various tank sealant on the market and plumbed for one from these people: http://www.kreem.com
Followed the instructions to remove any rust, removed the water, and spent an hour busy turning the tank round and round to coat every surface inside. Left it to dry overnight and then refitted the tank.
Sealed and ready to fit.jpg
So far after half a dozen full tanks of petrol, it appears to be holding up perfectly well.
On to the next issue – rear brakes. Had already fitted a new handbrake cable which showed up the fact the rear wheel cylinders had seized. Got them moving, but they weren’t nice. Bought new ones to fit. Took it for an MOT three weeks before the Dutch treffen and it failed on a rear wheel binding and poor handbrake performance and the front brake hose rubbing on the clutch cable tube. The last on was easy to solve, small tweak of the mounting solved that one. Stripped the rear brakes down again and put some new relined brake shoes. Adjusted the play on the shoes and managed to get the rear wheels to turn reasonably easily and for the handbrake to hold on a reasonably steep slope. Back to the MOT station to get the free re-test and finally a pass certificate!
Now I could drive Lurch to the Haflinger and Pinzgauer club treffen and back as a shake down run before the next weekend’s Dutch terffen.
The drive to Holland was for the most part uneventful other than the part where the Belgium police stopped us. Initially, I think in order to take pictures of the strange vehicle which they had never seen before, but when they asked for “documents” and I had to say “no documents, I have left them at home”. At which point they started talking about if they can’t be convinced that the vehicle is insured that they have to impound it and tow it. Then you have to prove it is insured and pay the tow fee, fine etc! At which point they asked if I could get a copy of the documents on my phone, that way they wouldn’t have to impound the vehicle. So I made a call to my daughter in law to ask her to find the relevant documents. Whilst we were waiting, my friend Stephen had a brilliant idea! http://www.AskMid.gov.uk The UK national insurance database which allows you to check if another vehicle has insurance should you be involved in a crash. There are some provisos about using the web site, but as the owner of the vehicle in question, I am allowed to access the site – which promptly pops up a page to say the Haflinger is insured…. They agree and so allow us to go with a word of caution – “Get a copy of the documents because if the traffic police stop you, they are more fierce and will impound the vehicle whilst you get a copy of the documents”! We must have been talking this pair of policemen for at least 20 minutes before they let us go….
The Treffen was interesting like all the previous ones, we visited an organic farm which made their own cheese and had a good spread of green lanes and minor roads on the road runs on both Friday and Saturday. Nice meals on both nights as well along with interesting and pleasant company form different parts of Europe.
Next year we are apparently going to Austria for the Haflinger’s 60th….. Still have to figure out how I can get Lurch there. I don’t have a trailer or a tow vehicle or a van I can put it in the back of. Something to ponder on!
John
Attachments
one pin hole.jpg
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Re: Dutch treffen May 2018

Post by AustHaflinger »

I thought you Europeans could freely drive anywhere without restriction. When you say "insurance" - is this insurance for to the cover the vehicle (not compulsory here) or insurance that covers people in case of an accident - it is called third party personal here and is compulsory and without it the vehicle is not registrable so here you do not have to show prove as if the vehicle shows up as being unregistered it also does not have the third party personal insurance.

Glad it all came together in the end :-)

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
jhon

Post by jhon »

Nice update John - glad that Lurch got you there and back safely; fair play to you for doing all these road miles - I love my Haflinger, but the thought of doing several hundred road miles in it doesn't hold much attraction!

Sounds like an adventure though, particularly your run-in with the cops - that must have been a bit worrying to start with.

Of the attendees, what distance did the furthest-travelled come?
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

There were Haf's from France, Germany, Uk, Swiss, Belgium, Holland.

In main land Europe, currently insurance is connected to the registration plates, so similar to OZ. In the UK, you have to take out minimum third Party insurance in your name which is linked to the vehicle because you have to tell the insurance company the vehicle registration. As it is not directly tied to registration plates, you can have a vehicle which is registered for the road, but does not have anyone insured to drive it on the road and as there is no "on the vehicle" sticker or anything else to show insurance or lack thereof, it is possible to drive a vehicle without insurance. The government has recognised this and arranged access to the national insurance database so if you have a crash with another vehicle, you can check to see if there is insurance on it - does not help if there is NO insurance other than you trying desperately to detain the driver until the police arrive!
I am sure there are similar "loop holes" in every countries insurance system whereby if someone wants to drive uninsured on the road, they will !

The two Belgium policemen were very nice about it all. Not pushy / officious - more they didn't really want all the paperwork and would rather have stood around talking to straighten things out then have to "get their hands dirty".
Part of the problem relates to the fact that Lurch has "old style" number plates which are not the current European format so it does not show up on their database as being insured!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I think it is very wise to carry the V5, MOT (if needed), insurance certificate AND your driving licence when driving "abroad" - in many countries (not the UK) it is a legal requirement to have them available on the roadside.

That said, I have never been stopped - but ALWAYS carry them (when abroad) just in case...

Not sure the "format" of the (foreign) plates makes any difference to les flics - and I doubt their hand held terminals have roadside access to the DVLA database.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The "Old Style" number plate format obviously caught the two Belgian officers out as they thought the Haf was registered in Ireland. Then even though we told them it was English, they then thought Northern Ireland....

I normally do carry the documents, but due the last minute nature of actually organising the trip, Stephen only got his passport renewed in London on Tuesday. He only told me he was able to come Wednesday and that meant I had to try and add him to the Ferry ticket, make sure it was alright with Christopher, change the booking with the campsite etc and in amongst all of that, forgot to pick up the document - as we left the house at 1:30am I even had to be reminded to take my passport!

Yes, the trip was not one of my better pre-organised ones! Still it was a good weekend.

John