Haflinger type BN2 Heater info/pics

Goatwerks

Haflinger type BN2 Heater info/pics

Post by Goatwerks »

Posting this here as well as another Haflinger forum as I go through my own heater.
I created my own accurate Schema using a photoshopped image and adding in the proper details.
All the units I have seen in Haflingers are early type BN2.
I will post more info as I make progress, all teardown photo's uploaded to my Photobucket http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
Goatwerks

Re: Haflinger type BN2 Heater info/pics

Post by Goatwerks »

Starting pic.

Switch bottom view,

Unit removed,

Wire locations on heater,
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

This VW BN2 Heater repair booklet (pdf attached)has all the needed info to understand how everything works and how it is adjusted, serviced.
While it is a VW version, it is close enough to do diagnostic and repair of Haflinger version.
Attachments
looklisten23_eberspacher.pdf
(4.8 MiB) Downloaded 238 times
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Regulator rebuild was fairly easy, here are some more pic's
Regulator internals.
The center of the 2 diaphrams differ, one has a rubber seal(seats on back of flow valve) and a smooth flat center(valve pin side).
I ended up grinding off the nub on the back side, then supported the assembly on a socket and drove out the front part.
After locating a couple of good used larger pump diaphrams , I traced the originals onto the new material, punched the holes, re assembled and re swedged the centers first with a punch and in the pin center with a pointed punch and trimmed off the excess after re assembling the regulator.
Here is a picture of the unit running.
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

Nice job Jim. I have a love hate relationship with these darn heaters.
Being an air cooled vdub guy for 30 years now that lives in the Pacific Northwest I have had to do lots of work on these guys.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Question for you people who have these heaters.

If you were to retrofit one of these into to a Haflinger, rather than cut a hole in the floor for the exhaust, would it be possible to run it to the hole that already exists on the side of the footwell? That way it wouldn't get bashed if you took the vehicle off road and into a ditch. The end could protrude a little and have a curved end to direct the exhaust gas backwards and downwards. Stop the rain being blown in when it was not being used.

Just a thought...

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

I dont see why not, just might want to build a heat shield for the pipe so your passanger doesnt melt their boots. I run a BN4 under my work bench in my garage and unfortunatly have scorched my toes a time or two
Amazing amont of heat for such small units.
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Here are a few more pictures, I have it back in the Haflinger now and it works great :twisted: