Right rear radius rod bushing hack

Rabbit 16v

Right rear radius rod bushing hack

Post by Rabbit 16v »

I didnt find much in the repair manual (shocking) regarding this service. Replacing all the radius rod bushings on one of my haffies and ran into this piece of shit engineering. You cannot remove the shaft that goes into the backbone on this particular corner without separating the backbone from the transmission. So, I made some tools. Hopefully this will help someone in the future.
Attachments
DSC_2019[1].JPG
DSC_2018[1].JPG
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
heinkeljb

Re: Right rear radius rod bushing hack

Post by heinkeljb »

Your picture is a little dark to see exactly what you are doing. Did you manage to change the bushings with dismanatling the backbone tube using your "special" tools?

Did you check that everyting was square again afterwards? Or do you have a "crab" Haflinger now?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

The picture is indicating the rod removed with the backbone still attached to the gearbox. I had to basically rebuild the entire front end, so I installed bilstein shocks and new springs while I was at it all around. The other three rods come off without interference. but THIS one you cannot remove without making tools. It took me 45 minutes just to get the rusty split pin out of the castle nut. Then the deeper portion of the 24mm socket I cut up fit into the well to free the nut. Then I used the remaining bit of the socket that I welded to a random bolt to continue to loosen until the nut was off and I could slide everything off the stud.

I cannot speak to square at this time or crabwalking as its not off the lift just yet. I just wrapped it up this afternoon and still have to bleed the brakes and put the front skid plate back on.
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I must of been asleep when I looked at your post!! The radius arms are held in place using threaded studs so that you can take a nut off and slide the stud out in the other direction. Makes it "easy", unlike the swing arm pivot pins! They are worse to take out and are based on a "flat" blade screw driver tool rather than on a standard hex head bolt.
Maybe that should be designed as a new part!
Another new part which is terrible is the brake shoe adjuste. Even the current replacement design is terrible. A threaded stucd with an off set pin to move the brake shoe, but an ordinary nut to go on the outside. This undoes if you try to slacken the adjuster off to remove the brake drum.

mmm. Maybe I should start a new thread for parts that need a "redesign"!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

man, dont get me started on those control arm pins!! ugh! hate those!

the radius arm though, you cannot remove that stud without removing the nut toward the rear. you cannot get a socket in there either with a ratchet as there is no clearance. the tube depth on the arm prevents you from getting a wrench in there too. even removing the split pin is a giant pain in the ass due to working area. I will grab another pic today of it installed for reference. Its a terrible design. I have threatened to seek out the "engineers" but my only solace is they have probably perished by now. What a torturous legacy!

ja, the brake shoe adjuster is stupid too. I havent had to use the replacement stuff yet as I was able to free up mine. although one pin is broken off thanks to some mouth breathing knuckle dragger.
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms