Handbrake cable parts - Help!

Julian B

Handbrake cable parts - Help!

Post by Julian B »

I have made a mistake with failing to keep a proper record of how the parts that go to form the end of the handbrake cable to together - can anyone help me? :oops:

Bear in mind that this is an Early Series 1 Haflinger, and that there are no S shaped Returning Springs (7-06 #32, 700.134.0861) helping to release the handbrake when the handbrake lever is lowered (i.e. off).

I know that the Handbrake Cable passes through a Tubular Bracket which is welded on to the half axle.

I am fairly sure that the long Rubber Grommet sits inside the Tubular Bracket, having been pushed up into it from the rear.

But where should I put the Long Spring and (what I have called) the "End Piece"? The only photo that I have from before I stripped it all down shows no Long Spring or "End Piece" at all. I may have added them after I took that photo a couple of years ago, but can't recall.

The diameter of the Long Spring is slightly smaller than the Tubular Bracket, and so it could go up inside the Tubular Bracket, but if so I can't work out what to do with the Long Rubber Grommet, nor how to stop the End Piece from falling off.

TIA !!!
Attachments
2013-11-26_14.40.09-4.jpg
2013-11-26_14.40.09-4.jpg (278.15 KiB) Viewed 1059 times
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Re: Handbrake cable parts - Help!

Post by heinkeljb »

Julian,

Unless someone who knows more than you or I comes along to say different! I would say you have all the pieces in the positions I would put them in.

The long rubber grommet is there to prevent dirt / water from going up the cable so that must be correct.

The spring is obviously to help keep tension on the cable as much as move the hand brake lever when you release the handbrake.

The spring "could" just rest against the top of the lever arm, but it makes sense to have a "stop" which fits down the middle of the spring and help prevent the cable from "sawing" through the spring, or the spring cutting the cable.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!