Parking brake return spring pops out

Tennmogger

Parking brake return spring pops out

Post by Tennmogger »

Quick history: It's a new-to-me Haflinger. All brake system was disassembled when I got it and I have been collecting parts and pieces. Now trying to get all parts back together.

The end of the parking brake return spring (the end with the right angle bend) tries to pop out of the slot on the hub end of the spring (picture). The angle at which it sits facilitates its sliding out. Is there supposed to be something to hold this spring in? Does it look like it's assembled correctly?

I've thought about twisting that end of the spring so it's parallel to the slot surface in the hub, but don't want to chance breaking it.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Bob
Attachments
094.JPG
1952 Willys M-38, Unimogs from 1957, 1965, 1970, 1975, 1978, 1988, and a 1968 Haflinger NA bugeye!
heinkeljb

Re: Parking brake return spring pops out

Post by heinkeljb »

Bob,

below is a picture of the same side rear brake shoe from when i was rebuilding my brake system.
How I think it should be.jpg
If the end of your spring is no longer pointing in the correct direction, it is going to be hit or miss if you can bend it back to point in the correct direction! Putting the bent end in a vice and moving the rest of the spring is your best chance of twisting things back to normal. If you hold the rest of the spring and try and turn just the tip, you are applying the torsional load to a very small section of the spring and it is more likely to overload and snap. Applying the torsional load when hold the tip allows the load to spread down along the length of the spring between the hook and the wound section.

I think you should be prepared to purchase a replacement spring just in case - I have probably, a fifty / fifty record when it comes to bending springs back to the shape I want them in!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!