Brake pipe kits on eBay

Bigdougal

Brake pipe kits on eBay

Post by Bigdougal »

Hi all,

I have been seeing complete brake pipe packages for sale on eBay and they seem reasonably priced, and possibly simpler than making up a set. Any one had any experience with them?

Cheers
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
cascade.king

Re: Brake pipe kits on eBay

Post by cascade.king »

Pm me...
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

What's your email?
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

In order to use the PM system on here you have to have posted a few times. I don't know the actual number but presumably it is more than 7 posts.
So "BigDougal" maybe you could count how many posts you need to add to your existing post count before the PM facility become available to you?

The only issue with "bought" kits is knowing if they actually measured the pipe runs against a straightened out original pipe or if it based on some "loose" measurements. Then you have the difference between the long wheel base and the short wheel base.
I know you can always "coil" a pipe if it is too long, but making it longer when it is too short.....
Then there is the possibility that the pipe work you are buying follows a different route from your existing route. I have seen that on a few vehicles in the past - not specifically on a Haflinger, but it could happen I am sure.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Hi John,

You raise some good points, they do though list kits separately for both 700 and 703.

Thanks

Doug
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

1st, please update your profile to include your location.

2nd, welcome!

3rd, let's say I have ordered the 5 piece kit a few weeks ago. I'll let you how great it is once I see it, but I am beginning to wonder if it will ever happen.. Caveat emptor, parens fututor!
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Hi,

I will update as you suggest.

I think we may be talking at odds, the kits I refer to are 11 piece kits from Robert Prokschi.

Cheers
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Do these kits have pieces that are pre "bent" (Oh, er Mrs...) If they are just cut to the correct length and have the appropriate ends already on. Then you will still have to straighten the long one and re-curve the short ones that fit on the hubs.

Are you working on just the running gear or a vehicle with the platform still on? LWB or SWB? Fitting the flexible hoses, particularly the rears with heat exchangers in place is an exercise of working at the end of a long narrow hole where it will be mostly by "touch" as you can't really see past your arms and hands whilst you are fitting the connectors!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Hi John,

If I remember correctly the pipes come curled and will require straightening and bending, I have a brake piper bender so that should be ok. I'll use the old ones as a pattern.

The existing pipes are ok but given the platform (700 swb) is off and access is good it seems to make sense to change them.

I have ditched the heat exchangers and gone with a simple silencer, so winter driving could be cold.

Cheers

Doug
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Brake pipes and hoses arrived today from Robert Prokschi. Eleven sized brake pipes and 5 brake hoses. All up €102 inc taxes. They are the new black pipes that you can easily bend by hand without kinking.

Cheers
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700