Shock absorbers

Bigdougal

Shock absorbers

Post by Bigdougal »

Went to fix the new shock absorbers today and was surprised to find that when I compress the shocks by hand they stay compressed whereby the old ones slowly return to their maximum length. Have I been supplied with duds?

Cheers

Doug Hart
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
HaffyHunter

Re: Shock absorbers

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Doug,
The original Haflinger shock absorbers were dual valve type so they dampened in both directions of shock stroke. Thus the dual valve design will maintain a neutral position provided the valve rate is balanced for both directions. Shock absorbers from an early VW Beetle are commonly used as replacements as they are an exact fit but they are only single valve design. A single valve shock will want to stay in the position it is compressed to. The force of the suspension spring pulls it back.
Cheers,
Steve
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Thanks Steve,

So if I have understood you correctly these are the typical replacement used and are ok to with?

Doug
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Doug,
They should be fine but the Haflinger won't handle quite as well as it originally did on "wash board" and uneven roads as the suspension will tend to allow more wheel hop. In the long term you'll want to keep attention to early wear in the swing axles' fulcrum pins and bushings if you travel a lot of these types of road.
Cheers,
Steve
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Can anyone let me know of any brands/models of dual valve shocks that will fit the Haflinger. I have checked with Haflinger Technic but John says his are single valves.

Cheers

Doug
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I wonder if Hagon's make some? They are capable of making various for motorbikes.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I have the Haflinger Technik shocks on my Haflinger and now covered about 3000km both onroad and offroad and they do work well. When checking out shocks before I got the ones I have I took a shock into my suspension dealer and he matched it to a very expensive Koni shock from the dimensions listed in his Koni book so that is a possible option - they were very expensive.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Can anyone let me know of any brands/models of dual valve shocks that will fit the Haflinger.
Hi Doug,
The original shocks were made by Sachs. These are still available under the Sachs brand name as well as by their Boge brand name (same part re-branded). The attached PDF file gives detail for both brand names. I often see these original shocks listed on eBay.de and they are available from Robert Prokschi and likely Autoquariat as well.
I had onetime seen Bilstein shocks for Haflingers being sold by one of the Austrian Haflinger parts dealers but can't remember who it was now.
Many manufacturers have cross-reference tables for competitor part numbers so you can check some out through their European based websites to see what is available.
Cheers,
Steve
Sachs-Boge Shocks.pdf
(84.82 KiB) Downloaded 160 times