New Fiat 500 wheels, plug'n'play?

cascade.king

New Fiat 500 wheels, plug'n'play?

Post by cascade.king »

The Fiat 500 came to the USA in 2011 (I think) and is the most widely available 4X98 steel in the USA.

Does anyone run these? Are they a plug 'n' play option for replacement steel wheels on the Haflinger (stock nuts, etc.)

I have come across a number of these wheels lately, and the price makes them attractive... + the tire options are much better too.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
heinkeljb

Re: New Fiat 500 wheels, plug'n'play?

Post by heinkeljb »

I think they would are probably "plug 'n' play" with a couple of provisos!

I don't know if Fiat have used the same 4x98mm PDC on the "new" Fiat 500. I also don't know if they use a 10mm or 12mm diameter stud, the Haflinger studs are 10mm so which ever they use the studs are going to go through the hole if the PDC is correct. The tapper on the wheel nuts ought to center the studs correctly in a 12mm hole.

The other issue is the "offset", This will have a bearing on how far out from the body work the tyres sit or how far in under the bodywork - running the risk of rubbing on the springs / bodywork. I believe Haflinger wheels have a offset of E35 / E37 (should be in the repair manual specs.

You can get a good understanding of all this for your self by going to the "The tyre bible" or is it "The tire bible"?

The other problem I think you might run into is:- Actually tyre size. I think the "new" Fiat 500 has 15 inch rims or possibly 16 inch rims. Original Haflinger ones are 12 Inch so you would have to use the Tyre bible to work out what size tyres to put on your rims if you want the same rolling circumference.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Goatwerks

Re: New Fiat 500 wheels, plug'n'play?

Post by Goatwerks »

On the earlier Fiat steel wheels, the centers are snug and may need to be honed a few fractions of mm to seat properly.