Steering being put back in the Haf today

Bigdougal

Steering being put back in the Haf today

Post by Bigdougal »

I am about to reconnect the steering shaft to the drop arm and steering drag arm. Apart from ensuring that the wheels are straight and the shaft is mid-point between full left lock and full right lock, is there anything else I should be aware of or take into consideration?

Cheers
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
Julian B

Re: Steering being put back in the Haf today

Post by Julian B »

I have vague recollections of needing to make sure the speedo cable goes through a gap in the casting before you re-fit the pedal box etc, as the end caps are too big to pull through. Worth checking ...
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Make sure your bushes in the steering relay are nice and tight - I just pulled mine out and the shaft in the steering relay was flopping around everywhere.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Many thanks,

I had totally forgot about the speedo cable. Close shave!

The steering mechanism seems nice and tight.

Cheers
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

You have to set the toe in / toe out at some point, you might as well do it now.... If i remember correctly, it is basically straight ahead or very slightly toe in.

If you need to measure the setting distance, I have done it in the past on other vehicles by getting a piece of timber that is ~ 3cm shorter that than the gap. Put a wood screw in at each end. You can adjust the length of your piece of wood obviously by turning one or other of the wood screws in or out until it is the correct length.

So, you put the length of wood in between the two wheels, parallel to the floor as near to horizontal line drawn through the wheel hub center. Use a felt tip marker to mark a spot on the inside rims where you are measuring from / to. Now you have a measurement (a). Push or pull the vehicle until the marks are ~ 180 degrees different, take another measurement (b).

Now you can adjust your woodscrew(s) until you have the required toe in / toe out you and using your adjustable measuring stick you can do some quick maths and work out what you need as a length on your adjustable measuring stick, then all you do is wind the steering tie rods in or out until you get the required toe in / toe out.

Just remember, you have to adjust BOTH tie rods or you will end up with one wheel pointing straight forwards and the other off at an angle instead of both wheels being at an angle!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!