Brake pipe between master cylinder and reservoir

Bigdougal

Brake pipe between master cylinder and reservoir

Post by Bigdougal »

I am about to fit a brake pipe between the brake master cylinder, under the steering and the brake fluid reservoir on the left hand side of the front panel/scuttle/cab (called a dash in the parts manual??).

I am making the piece from a straight length of pipe (bendable by hand).

I don't have an old one to use as a pattern and I am struggling to work out how best to route it. I can only assume that I am best placed bending it as I install it and have come to the conclusion that the best entry point is by taking the small indicator of the side of the cab and bringing the pipe in through there and then taking a right turn under the steering and then a looped bend into the master cylinder ( I have read with interest the associated problems with getting it to seat correctly in the rubber bung).

Origami and Chinese puzzles have never been my strong point, so any advice gratefully received, especially how long it should be.

I have also inherited a new fluid reservoir. Whilst looking identical to the original, it lacks the small piece of rubber tubing that sits inside the braided hose, that exits the bottom of the reservoir in order to make it a tight fit with the brake pipe. The old one is badly perished and not fit for purpose. I can't see this piece listed in the parts manual. Any ideas where to get one or make one?

Cheers
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
heinkeljb

Re: Brake pipe between master cylinder and reservoir

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Doug,

I would grab a ruler and take some measurements to arrive at a approximate length of pipe before doing anything else.

Start at the master cylinder. vertical pipe run out of the bung, 90 degree bend.
Follow master cylinder towards the front of the vehicle, slight "S" bend to get it through the hole above the master cylinder and under the steering box saddle.
Vertical 90 degree bend when you get to the bodywork.
90 degree bend towards the outside of the vehicle when you get to the joint between the platform and the "dash" - there should be a "tang" like that for holding the wiring harness in place to hold the pipe along this part of the bodywork.
90 degree bend towards the back of the vehicle when you reach the side of the vehicle below the side indicator.
90 degree bend vertical to the brake fluid reservoir.
"S" bend to bring pipe away from the side of the vehicle to line up with the exit from the brake reservoir.

Make the 90 degree bend with enough length to be able to get a nice straight piece of pipe to go into the master cylinder bung - you can always cut bits off to get the length right, but it's difficult to get the bend correct if the pipe is short!

A good car accessory shop should have suitable hose capable of carrying brake fluid that you can use to make the join between the reservoir and the pipe.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Hi Doug, I made some new pipes during my restoration recently; these pictures should help with the routing in the cab - not great, but they do show the general routing. Whilst not exact replicas of what came out, they are pretty close. Sadly I can't quite remember the shape of the pipe within the pedal box, other than it ends in a 180 degree bend, the last bit pointing straight down and into the master cylinder.

Making pipes is pretty easy, and the special tools are not that expensive.
Attachments
2014-02-24_10_37_25.jpg
2014-02-11_15_57_15.jpg
2014-02-24_10_39_06.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Herewith a couple of photos of the brake line that I removed - hope they help.
Attachments
2014-11-03_09_47_14.jpg
2014-11-03_09_48_06.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Cheers Julian, have managed to get it in place, but I can not say I am totally happy with it. I see you have a differnt type of reservoir with a screw fitting.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

For LH vehicles, the pipe follows the nose seam to the left and left(DS) , then up to res..
If you have the 7mm nipple type reservoir and have lost the hose joiner(5mm to 7mm hose adapter), just cut an end off of a fuel filter and join the hoses.
I cut the ends off the little clear filters with dual size ends(5mm/7mm) and use them , brake fluid will not eat them.
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Thanks Jim, sounds like a simple solution.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700