Handbrake issue

heinkeljb

Handbrake issue

Post by heinkeljb »

I have suddenly had some thing go wrong with the handbrake. It has always pulled up quite high to actually work, even just after i put new brake shoes and wheel cylinders on. Suddenly, it now pulls right up tot he end of the ratchet travel and does not hold.

Took the rear brake drums off, loosened the centre nut and pulled the cables back, tried to reposition the intermediate lever on the rear brake drums to a slightly different spline - not sure I succeeded doing that.

Put it all back together, when turning the rear wheels by hand, all seemed well. Adjusted so that the wheels turned with hand brake off, couldn't turn the wheels with hand brake pulled up a few notches. Took it for a test drive - handbrake is non-existant again!

I'll try winding the nut up a bit more, but I think it will probably run out of thread before the handbrake works properly....

I suppose it could be down to worn out brake shoes, although they didn't look very think when I had the drums off.

Why they had to put an intermediate lever in the system is beyond me, it would have been far better just to have the arm on the outside move the brake shoe directly. It's not required because of the dropped axle as it would have just as easy to design it with the lever a bit further down.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!