Handbrake Adjustment

SAM

Handbrake Adjustment

Post by SAM »

Hi All

Is moving the levers on the splines a legitimate method of adjusting the handbrake? I have put new shoes in and when I pull the handbrake up it feels spongy. It has never worked properly so I have nothing to gauge it by, should it come to a sudden tight stop like a modern handbrake or is it much more gradual?

I have put relined shoes in and because of this it was too tight to assemble so I moved both levers in a spline and assembled it. Now it feels a bit spongy.

Any help will be appreciated.

Sam
heinkeljb

Re: Handbrake Adjustment

Post by heinkeljb »

Other than having trouble getting the arms back on with the springs on there as well, there is no reason why you can't move the arms round on the splines.

Obviously what you are trying to achieve is to get the brake shoes as near to the brake drums as possible without them actually touching. Then when you pull on the hand brake, it only has to move the two levers a small distance before the shoes hit the drums.

Realistically, I have had the same issues with trying to set my hand brake, I have achieved it by basically having several attempts at getting the adjusters moved to the right place, then winding the nut up on the rod to take up any slack in the cables. Going for a drive, applying the hand brake whilst rolling so the brake shoes move to centre themselves. Then going through it all over again. Eventually you end up with a setting you are happy with!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
SAM

Re: Handbrake Adjustment

Post by SAM »

Thanks John

I figured it was something like that. I will let you know how I get on.

Sam