Tyre Tube Valve Stem Adaptors

AustHaflinger

Tyre Tube Valve Stem Adaptors

Post by AustHaflinger »

I have finally got a chance to go over the tyre goodies that I got off Danny (Vampyr) the week before last. When I was inspecting the wheel/tyre combination I noticed that the diameter of the hole in the wheel where the tube valve stem comes out was much larger than the diameter of the valve stem. The diameter of the oval hole in the wheel is about 15.5mm whereas the diameter of the valve stem is 11.5mm.

This looks dangerous as in theory some of the tube could start to protrude through the gap at high pressures.

I then pulled out my old four wheels and tyres from under the house and noticed they were all the same except for one that did not have any gap.

Taking the tube out I found a little hat style adaptor that fits over the valve stem.

Here is the adaptor (in poor condition)

and over the valve stem

These are not listed in the parts manual as I can find.

So why would the wheels have a larger than necessary? Did the OEM tubes have thicker valve stems and these are no longer available or are the tubes supposed to use these valve stem adaptors - I must admit I have never seem these adaptors before.

Are these adaptors freely available or should I buy new tubes with larger diameter valve stems.

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Re: Tyre Tube Valve Stem Adaptors

Post by Julian B »

I managed to blag a set (FOC) of these "adapters" from my local tyre fitter. Not everyone has them to hand but you should be able to find some if you ask around.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Julian -thanks for that - so they are not some oddball type of fitting - it is just in my 45 years of owning and driving vehicles, many of which were on tubed tyres I have never come across them before.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

There are 2 size stem holes depending on year, but most just install pop in valve stems and go tubeless with stock rims/tires(tyres).
Ran mine tubeless for 5 years before going to 13" Fiat wheels.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I bought some in order to put tubes in my 13 inch Fiat rims only to discover they don't fit! Holes in rims are correct size for the pull through tubeless tyres valves, but were too small for the "adapter top hats". So I have had to put the tubes in with out them.

As I am never likely to put very high air pressure values in the tubes - max 30 psi I didn't see any bulging around the valve stems, I think I will be allright from that point of view.

I also bought some bead sealer at the same time, from an Ebay source.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Sorry Gary, didn't think to mention that. Restored my 5 original rims and did new tyres and tubes. The neighbour is a diesel mechanic and took the tyres to work and did them and told me he fitted the adapters. Put them away and didn't think about again until I saw your post. I too had wondered why the valve hole was so big ?. Good to see you have found a use for the tyres. Cheers Danny
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks for the responses.

Jim - so the tyres can go tubless? Didn't know that. Makes repairs a lot easier. One of my rims are a bit corroded on the inside of the rim where the bead goes so I will have to stay with a tube in it.

One of my tyres that I got with the vehicle is basically new and I noticed its diameter is about an inch greater than the other partly worn tyres so what sort of difference in rolling diameter can the Haffie diffs handle.

Also looking at the tyres, first the first time I noticed that they have rotational direction arrows - in a flat tyre situation is it important that the spare go on the vehicle in the right spot or doesn't it matter - or am I better getting a modern non directional tyre on the spare.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

There is no way you can know which tyre is going to have a flat, so unless you have two spare tyres (1 of each direction) then you are going to have to fit the spare no matter what.

Best option obviously (but who again will do this at the side of the road in the pouring rain?), is to fit the spare as it is the least worn to the correct side front axle and put which ever tyre comes off there to the fill the missing spot. Best thread on the front where you have Steering and Brakes!

Then when you are able, you sort out the tyres for direction arrows pointing the correct way on either side.

Even modern tyres which profess to be uni directional actually work better in one direction than the other. All this is rather high tech for a poor old Hafi that doesn't go faster than 50 miles an hour on a very good day!

The back end goes very light when empty if you stamp on the brakes and you can lock up the rear wheels so tread at that point doesn't really matter which direction it is pointing....

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I was out and about today taking some green waste to the recycling centre and afterwards dropped by a couple of tyre retreading places to find out if it was possible to get the Semperit tread pattern retreaded onto to a road type 165r12 tyre. First thing was that 165r12 tyres are made of unobtanium but different widths are still available (basically Mini tyres) but definitely not in an offroad pattern. Also these days the retreaders do not go down to 12" tyres.

What I did get though, were 5 of the valve stem adaptors. The first place I went to had never heard of them but the second said he had new ones out the back so I took 5 for the princely sum of "for free" :D

I will take that as a win - now to get the wire brush onto my now 5 rims and then painted in silver.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)