Steering out of control

Yakov

Steering out of control

Post by Yakov »

My haflinger isn't allowed on the road yet, so it's hard to test certain issues without access to a stretch of even, paved surface, but one thing I have noticed when I have snuck it onto a roadway is that at high speeds, going straight is impossible without constant correction on the steering wheel. It's scary! It doesn't pull in any particular direction, but wanders, forcing me to frantically spin the wheel to keep it going straight.

The only obvious loose thing in the linkage is the arm right after steering column, called the steering drag in the manual. The knuckle there is loose.
There is some steering play in the wheel. I can't seem to tighten the adjusting nut enough to take up the play. It's at the limit.

What would be the cause of wandering steering - loose linkage or excessive play in the gearbox?
And if I can't take up the play with the adjusting screw, what exactly is worn out?
Goatwerks

Re: Steering out of control

Post by Goatwerks »

Jack the front end up jiggle the wheels to see and feel(locate) the loose parts. Places to look, tie rod ends, pitman arm nut, centering arm bushings/pin. Also grab top and bottom of wheel to check kingpin bushings.