So has anyone re-woven the limit straps?

Czechsix

So has anyone re-woven the limit straps?

Post by Czechsix »

If so...any tips to doing them?

I'm thinking I'll make a jig to support the ends at the right distance, with enough height to work under and over, and then commence to weaving. Might as well do stainless steel, there's a local industrial liquidator that usually has a spool of it.

Any idea on total length needed per strap?
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
AustHaflinger

Re: So has anyone re-woven the limit straps?

Post by AustHaflinger »

There was some discussion a few months back concerning making your own straps out of webbing - the thread does not come to hand but if you search you might find it. It also included discussion about making them out of thin wire rope with swaged eyes on either end.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Yep, I was following that thread, Garry. Nothing seems to have happened though, thought I'd go ahead and just start another thread.

I'll be trying to find the cable tomorrow during my daily errands. If I do find it, I'll definitely be trying to relace the straps, and taking pics. I can't see how hard it would be to do. One good thing is that I already have a hydraulic cable swager at hand. If it comes down to it, the wire rope would be a possibility too, but I've got to think that there was a definite reason the originals are made out of woven wire rope instead of a single piece of multistrand rope.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Czechsix wrote:but I've got to think that there was a definite reason the originals are made out of woven wire rope instead of a single piece of multistrand rope.
I suspect that the standard stainless woven straps have a bit of give an them when they come tight so cushion the swing arm drop at max drop. My straps were broken when I got my haffie and in theory the springs could fall out at max downward deflection but in reality they didn't due to the heavy duty spings I had on. Id you did just use wire I really cannot see an issue though.

I replaced my straps with original straps that were very expensive and when they break I might consider alternatives.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

G,,day . the strap needs a bit of give , to stop shock loading .
i have made countless number using seat belt webbing .
50 mm folded in half , and a big overlap in the centre .
or 25 mm and an extra time around each mounting tab .

but you will need a good industrial sewing machine .
also the stitching does contract the length of webbing .

very good life from these .

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

You can use nylon strap, I super glue them, clamp in vise till dry. Next poke 3 holes with heated nail or poker and then rivet them(use washer on back side).
Quick and reliable repair.
Going on 2 yrs use so far on repaired straps.
The nylon webbing also acts as a cushion when extended(just like the woven straps).